Why????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suzanne

Car
1988 190E 2.0L Manual
Couldnt have happened at a worse time, but last week was drving down the M4 (as you do) when I noticed the speedo going backwards!! Took a look in the mirror to be greeted by white smoke bellowing from the exhaust :(

Obviously I pulled over, RAC got us home but didnt look at it. Now I want to get an idea of what it could be before I take it to the garage, lol.

Anyway, it still starts up, although seems quite 'shaky' when it does, also still a lot of white smoke, waters ok but oil has leaked out all over the place, not 100% sure where from as its a bit of a mess.

Someone said head gasket but then surely the water would be gone??

Arghhhh, its doing my head in, im now driving some old audi, its ok but its not my baby :(

Anyone?? Thanks.

:crazy:

White smoke indicates that water has probably passed into engine, which is usually the head gasket. Was the temperature quite high when this happened or when you came to a stop. Take your oil dip stick out and see if its a milky colour rather than oil coloured. If its milky then theres water in it which indicates head gasket.

Suzanne,

My head gasket went very recently and I am half way through fixing it. I didn't get any noticeable contamination of water in the oil or oil in the water but nonetheless the gasket had gone.
I would think it almost certain that yours has also.

Bob

Suzanne,

When the engine is running are you getting lots of bubbles in the coolant bottle, especially when the engine is revved?

Sorry to say this but it certainly sounds like HGF :(

Gav.

Forgot the ask how many miles has the car done?

Gav.

Thanks for all the replys guys :)
Ok, well the shaking is the mountings, so nothing to do with it, lol.
Ok, had another poke around just now, water is full, no contamination at all, same with the oil, except thats not full as half of it is over teh engine compartment :(
Oil pressure gauge is reading as it should (if that matters at all)
Still a bit of white smoke when revved, will check the water for bubbles though. Had it running for a couple minutes, temp gauge didnt do anything, but I suppose it wouldnt after only a couple mins. Now, dipstick is showing there to be oil in engine but when I removed the filler cap after running it for 2 mins it was smoking from there??? Now Im wondering what the hells going on there, lol.
Will check for bubbles in a bit anyway and post back, cheers guys.

Oh yes, cars a 190e 1988, done 116k

The lack of bubbles in the water will not mean that your head gasket is OK. Have you identified where the oil is spraying out from? Bet it is the front offside of the head gasket, seems like they fail in that area a lot.

Bob

A couple of comments.

The shaking on the mountings is because the engine is running rough, this causes the engine to rock on the mountings.

Bubbles in the water means the head gasket has gone between the cylinder and the water sections. This is not the normal head gasket problem. They normally go between the oil & water sections. Causing contamination of one or the other.

Smoking from the filler cap is due to a worn engine, piston rings worn etc. After 116K it is expected to be a bit worn. If it is smoking badly then you have an expensive repair ahead.

Try and find out where the oil is leaking from. Probably from the head gasket but need to check. If the oil is leaking onto the plugs then this will have caused your loss of power. Also might account for the shaky engine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom