Wickes shower extractor fan kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi All,
I need a little advice please.

The in-built light in our shower extractor fan stopped working the other day. (Bought from Wickes, and is about three months old.)
The bulb is fine.
After doing some quick tests I found the transformer that powers the in-built light was at fault.
I opened it up and it's clear that two components have burnt out. There are also some black burn marks on the inside plastic case of the transformer.

I've spoken to my local store over the phone and they have offered either a full refund or exchange.

But here's the thing:
Do I really want a replacement? It's quite worrying that this transformer burnt out in the way that it did. My concern is that it could've started a fire in the loft and with all that insulation up there!!!??? :eek:

Wickes have said that if there is more than one customer complaint on any one item they do a product recall but apparently they have had no other issues with the item I bought.

Any advice on what I should do? Should I be complaining higher up the chain and if so, anyone had any experience of doing this with Wickes?

BTW I've also tried contacting them via their online "contact us" service. Got a reply saying to call the number at bottom of their email. The phone number just gives a continuous tone when dialled!! :crazy:

Thanks for any pointers.

shr.

That's fairly typical for a cheap low-voltage transformer. I can't see you'd get very far. It wouldn't bother me replacing it - though you may just want to get your money back and try another brand.

Try Screwfix they have good stuff and is reasonably priced

Raj

That's fairly typical for a cheap low-voltage transformer. I can't see you'd get very far. It wouldn't bother me replacing it - though you may just want to get your money back and try another brand.

Yep, it certainly is cheap stuff. It's just that this little incident got me worried about fires in the loft!! But I suppose risk is the same with any manufacturer isn't it?

The Wickes transformer seems to have the CE marks on the front, so I guess it's been made to a decent standard and I've just been unlucky??!!

Who can answer this these days, My Wickes fan has been there for 7 years.

You cant discount it on one failure, but you could on two. Cars go wrong and everything can go wrong, even women.

Who can answer this these days, My Wickes fan has been there for 7 years.

You cant discount it on one failure, but you could on two. Cars go wrong and everything can go wrong, even women.

A philosophical answer ever if there was one...

It's not really the "going wrong" that bothers me (I've got two Mercs, so well adverse to that sensation :D )

But it's more the consequences that come from something going wrong.
Malcolm, you know your electronics, do you agree that this thing could have caught fire? (Can try and post pics if that will help??)

It's not really the "going wrong" that bothers me (I've got two Mercs, so well adverse to that sensation :D )

But it's more the consequences that come from something going wrong.
Malcolm, you know your electronics, do you agree that this thing could have caught fire? (Can try and post pics if that will help??)

Please put up a picture, its worth 1000 words

Wickes have said that if there is more than one customer complaint on any one item they do a product recall

Surely that can't be correct?

They'd end recalling everything as there are always going to be a few duds.

Surely that can't be correct?

They'd end recalling everything as there are always going to be a few duds.

Nope, you don't recall on one failure

It takes time to assess if a batch fault, faulty fitting, incorrect application, or damage during transit.

WFS costs big money in de-merchandising, press ads etc

Usually electrical transformers will fail apart rather than catch fire these days, so yes its a risk, but Replace / refund (with an apology) seems fair.

"If it works, it can break" - QA manager motto I know

Fabes

Last edited:
If you have a RCD protected consumer unit (fuse box) then once the burning shorts the wires your MCB should trip.

My brothers 2004 Audi A6 Avant V6 TDI burned to a crisp on the hard shoulder recently due to what he suspects was a dodgy Viking car fridge. The firemen said don't mention it to the insurers:rolleyes:

Random fault or not, you won't get me having one of these in my car with my two kiddies!

I'd be surprised if the transformer failing like it did would be enough to set rockwool insulation alight.

Obviously Wickes stuff is the lower end of the scale and to an extent you do get what you pay for, but I wouldn't be too concerned, just replace it and I'm sure you'll have no more problems :)

Will

Generally insulation will only burn at very very high temperatures, Fibreglass will need to get hot enough for the glass to melt and Rockwool type product is made from pumice, although the resin used to bind them together could melt, cellulose fibre is basically paper put through a mashing machine and fire retardents added. The only really dodgy one was polystyrene beads, which I am not sure whether this was extensively used in loft insulation. So it would be almost impossible for your transformer to set light to any of the insulation any more than setting light to the timbers in your loft.

OK sorry for the delay, was in a meeting. Stupid work!!

Pictures to follow.

These transformers do get hot. I believe you are supposed to mount them clear of any fire hazard, but close to the fitting.

If you like the light fitting but feel uncomfortable with the cheap transformer supplied (and they are cheap!), I suggest you buy a quality transformer from Screwfix and use that to power the light. It will only cost £5 and is much better quality.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=48058&ts=52425

Here are the pics.
Not sure what they'll turn out like, but here goes:

Attachments

• DSC00066a.JPG
    DSC00066a.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00065a.JPG
    DSC00065a.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00070a.JPG
    DSC00070a.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 49
Judging by those pictures I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

It just surprises me that a fuse didn't blow or MCB didn't break before the circuit got this hot.

So you all reckon I should just quit my whinging and fit the replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom