wide tyres, inner edge gone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pimpdriver

Car
2002 W210 Elegance Estate
I have had my 2002 E320CDI W210 for a couple of week,s it cam fitted with 18" AMG alloys, which I thought "look nice, but expensive tyres and easy to kerb".

Well, this morning I had a flat.

Yesterday I was driving along the motorway at 70 with all my family on board.

Just glad it didn't blow out!

3mm tread all across, except for wear on inner shoulders.....

Getting two fitted today on a sunday, for £131 each, which I think is pretty good.

Will get tracking checked too.

Also check that you have the correct size wheels and tyres - i.e. that they do not rub against the arch or strut.

And last... Personally I always fit new tyres in sets of four.

But then again my 16" tyres are much cheaper....

Something to consider though.

Because the fronts are 8" and the rear are 9" I am not doing what I normally do and put the new ones on the back.

I have ordered 4 all season tyres in 16", as well as the wheels to go with them but they haven't arrived yet.

Need to have the car for work tomorrow, and going away Tuesday to Saturday so had to get it done today.

Because the fronts are 8" and the rear are 9" I am not doing what I normally do and put the new ones on the back.

I have ordered 4 all season tyres in 16", as well as the wheels to go with them but they haven't arrived yet.

Need to have the car for work tomorrow, and going away Tuesday to Saturday so had to get it done today.

Do you remember the clowns on Top Gear making their quick Renault Avantime not being able to get the wheels on over the brakes? :rolleyes:

All my rear drive mercs have worn the inside edges of the fronts, and the middle of the rears. As you're on staggered sizes you'll just have to keep a close eye on it, you can have the geometry altered to reduce the front wear also. I'm on same size all round and just rotate them.

Make sure your tyre pressures are good also, the minimum pressures are way too low especially for enthusiastic driving, you'll be best setting for "full load, high speed" to get life out of the fronts.

One thing I've noticed though, they behave well in a high speed blow-out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it needs new springs and dampers.

If it is genuine Avantgarde suspension and the height is correct, the camber should be OK...a greater angle than an Elegance car, but OK.

All my rear drive mercs have worn the inside edges of the fronts, and the middle of the rears. As you're on staggered sizes you'll just have to keep a close eye on it, you can have the geometry altered to reduce the front wear also. I'm on same size all round and just rotate them.

Make sure your tyre pressures are good also, the minimum pressures are way too low especially for enthusiastic driving, you'll be best setting for "full load, high speed" to get life out of the fronts.

One thing I've noticed though, they behave well in a high speed blow-out.

On my C180 the tyres wear evenly across the tread on all four (currently down to 4.5mm and still even).

As for wear in the middle of the tread... as far as I know this would be down to HIGH air pressure rather than a model characteristic feature or wheel geometry issues.

Last edited:
As for wear in the middle of the tread... as far as I know this would be down to low air pressure rather than a model characteristic feature or wheel geometry issues.

I'd always thought over-inflation caused wear in the middle.

edit - stevehg beat me to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it needs new springs and dampers.

If it is genuine Avantgarde suspension and the height is correct, the camber should be OK...a greater angle than an Elegance car, but OK.

Suspension seems ok. No bouncing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom