Widscreen Chip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VikJ

Active Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
223
Location
Peterborough, Cambs.
Car
2014 W246 B180CDi AMG Line Premium
Whilst in the C-Class on the A1 last night, my windscreen got hit by a stone and as a result, I now have a nice big chip in the middle of the screen. I had a quick look at my Insurance policy and it stated that I could go to Autowindscreens or Autoglass with my policy and they would replace for the £50 excess. Having done a quick search of old posts, I stumbled across Spikes post which means I'll be steering well clear of Autowindscreens!

The policy also mentioned that they would pay up to £125 (after the £50 excess) towards a windscreen if fitted by another company. Phone call to local dealer to see how much they charge for a new screen.

Just wondering what peoples views are on this?
 
VikJ said:
Whilst in the C-Class on the A1 last night, my windscreen got hit by a stone and as a result, I now have a nice big chip in the middle of the screen. I had a quick look at my Insurance policy and it stated that I could go to Autowindscreens or Autoglass with my policy and they would replace for the £50 excess. Having done a quick search of old posts, I stumbled across Spikes post which means I'll be steering well clear of Autowindscreens!

The policy also mentioned that they would pay up to £125 (after the £50 excess) towards a windscreen if fitted by another company. Phone call to local dealer to see how much they charge for a new screen.

Just wondering what peoples views are on this?

I would just plump for autoglass as if you take it to the dealer , they will just get someone in to do it for you and you might even end up with autowindscreens. Only thing i will say is make sure they use an original MB windscreen.

Anyone know how much a 202 windscreen costs?
 
I've just looked back through my paperwork as I had 2 screens fitted whilst I owned my Benz, they were both fitted by Autoglass through my insurance and the total cost of the screen is £186. This was taken from their paperwork given to me upon completion of the installation. Obviously I only forked out the £50 excess....
Autoglass did an excellent job on both installs on my car...
 
vik,

Only advantage of having the windscreen replaced at MB I suppose is that if the contractor does a "boch" up job then it`ll be directly down to MB to rectify with genuine parts - if u go through MB then it`ll have to be a genuine MB W202 screen as MB are "not" suppsoed to use non OEM parts - well thats what I have been lead to believe anyway - wheather they really put that into practise I dont know... my dealer has a large stock of windsscreens in their parts dept (so they have to be genuine screens...)

Be thankful that its not the rear windscreen - on the W203 that has the stereo attena incorporated into it and if not installed correctly or genuine MB screen then that could lead to reception probs i guess - do u have rain sensing wipers ?

if u do decide to go through MB Dealer then make ar equest for a genuine MB screen and an invoice or something with part no.... to put ur mind a rest.. genuine MB screens also will have the MB stamp printed/etched on them....

Regards,

Flash
 
fuzzer said:
I would just plump for autoglass as if you take it to the dealer , they will just get someone in to do it for you and you might even end up with autowindscreens. Only thing i will say is make sure they use an original MB windscreen.

Anyone know how much a 202 windscreen costs?


Thanks Guys,

Didn't realise that Autoglass or Autowindscreens would use Genuine parts. Just kinda assumed they wouldn't. I just called the dealer. Shes going to ring me back with a price.
 
Autoglass fitted genuine screens for me

VikJ said:
Thanks Guys,

Didn't realise that Autoglass or Autowindscreens would use Genuine parts. Just kinda assumed they wouldn't. I just called the dealer. Shes going to ring me back with a price.

I've had two front screens and a rear window fitted over the last 5 years by Autoglass. They used genuine MB screens everytime.
 
I had a new screen fitted to my last C-Class by Autoglass and to my previous Vito also by Autoglass. They did a good job but they didnt and doubt that they use genuine glass very often.
 
ViKj
Just had my windscreen replaced by the agent that my local stealership contracts work out to.
I was also scared off Autoglass when reading reports on this forum.
First I got a quote, then a called my insurance company (More Than) to verify that they would indeed settle the bill from an MB specialist. I then wrote to the More Than contact to verify that they would settle and got a letter back to say go ahead. Had the work done - cost me £290 which I paid on the cc, I got a cheque for £240 due to the £50 quid excess.
Good Luck
Michael
The firm really were specialists - due to the single wiper it is a fiddly job that needs know how - Autoglass will just ram the glass in and smother it with sealant - and is prone to leak rainwater into the heater.
I am glad I insisted that the work had to be done to MB specs and required MB specialists to do it.
 
I had a repair done on my 300sl by a windscreen repair specialist and you cannot tell it has been repaired . Do not use the big national companies for a repair as they are rubbish.I had Autoglas do a repair on a van I own and it was a mess.Autoglass only want to fit a new screen there is more profit for them, also most Insurance Companies do repairs for free.
 
pinball said:
ViKj
Just had my windscreen replaced by the agent that my local stealership contracts work out to.
I was also scared off Autoglass when reading reports on this forum.
First I got a quote, then a called my insurance company (More Than) to verify that they would indeed settle the bill from an MB specialist. I then wrote to the More Than contact to verify that they would settle and got a letter back to say go ahead. Had the work done - cost me £290 which I paid on the cc, I got a cheque for £240 due to the £50 quid excess.
Good Luck
Michael
The firm really were specialists - due to the single wiper it is a fiddly job that needs know how - Autoglass will just ram the glass in and smother it with sealant - and is prone to leak rainwater into the heater.
I am glad I insisted that the work had to be done to MB specs and required MB specialists to do it.

Thanks Michael, thats the sort of thing that frightens the life out of me. The last thing I want is a badly fitted windscreen and silicon all over the place followed by a flooded footwell the next time it rains. Still waiting for MB to get back to me with a quote.

The chip is not that big and I'm thinking of selling the car soon so may just leave it. I'll probably part-ex it at a dealer rather than sell privately.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom