Wierd errors on dash: ABS + ESP + ? all failed at once (w208)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmk

CLK 320 Cab (2000 W208)
Driving along with lim set to 30mph, air con & air blower set to max (as I am going through tunnel full of fumes), stereo on, side lights on.

Suddenly dash lights illuminate for ABS + ESP + I think also traction control errors in centre of speedo. Then dash starts flashing something about ABS + ESP errors, and something about "return to dealership". Possibly I also lost some engine power, but since I had lim set to 30 wasn't easy to say for certain.

I find a safe place to pull over, stop the car without removing key and attempt to turn off then restart engine, but engine starter won't turn over (doesnt' even try to start car). I see that dash shows "3 malfunctions" are available for review on trip computer, but am unable to look at them (steering wheel buttons don't appear to respond). I then turn off ignition and remove key.

After a couple of seconds, I then re-insert ignition key, and try to start again. This time it works fine first time without any issues. Strangely the 3 malfunction errors on the trip computer have dissappeared (now displays "0 malfunctions") as though it had reset itself. I drive car home without any further problems.

Looking through the manual for the car, I wonder if the issue was caused by low battery power rather than a real issue with the brakes. The manual says that if battery power falls below 10v the abs etc are all switched off automatically. Combined with the large power load I was placing on the car at the time (full air con, stereo, lights, etc), I wonder if this might have been the cause?

Have people experienced this situation? What are the chances its a real issue with the brakes???

Also, what worries me most is that before I removed the ignition key, the car refused to restart. I'm a little worried about getting stuck somewhere if it happens again. Will the car always restart if the key is removed, or is it possible that the car may refuse to start if there are brake problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Nathan

nmk said:
Looking through the manual for the car, I wonder if the issue was caused by low battery power rather than a real issue with the brakes. The manual says that if battery power falls below 10v the abs etc are all switched off automatically. Combined with the large power load I was placing on the car at the time (full air con, stereo, lights, etc), I wonder if this might have been the cause?

Hi Nathan,
Far better qualified members will eventually reply but to put your mind at rest it is indeed nearly almost certainly :) ;) the battery. How old is the battery and have you had it checked?

It is certainly both intimidating and scary when all those messages appear in front of your eyes, but my money is on battery.

Happy motoring,
John

I will look into it for you and i am sure other members will also reply but i am with John on this one a low battery will mess things up the traction systems all share a common control module so if the module is fried they would all fail at once however i very much doubt that is the case as the errors would have returned when the car was re-started the other error was most likely the BAS.

The errors would be reset at the removal of the key so that is why they are not visible after the power on again the chances of the brakes themselves being at fault are slim the large power load on the car has caused the voltage to drop a little too much and the systems have shut down thats all.

About the key there are many reasons why it would not re-start immediately and you don't need to worry about any so long as she normally starts OK but remove the key and leave it a few seconds and you should be away if the starter refused to do anything that again points to the battery.

The only other TSB's i have found on the SDS relating to the TC are all either battery related or are because of temporary CAN faults and can be disregarded if the fault was still present in your car the errors would have returned but i will double check with a tech to be sure OK.

Don't worry about it mate

Dan

When you stopped the car, did you turn the ignition all the way off, if you didn't, the car will not restart, it will appaear dead. Taking the ignition key out of course, will ensure that the key was all the way off. IMO sounds like a glitch. Next time you have a service, ask the technitions to look for any faults, if there were any they will have been recorded

That's weird as I had a similar thing on my 2000 reg SLK this weekend. The BAS / ESP lights came on and the speedometer went down to zero yet I was still able to drive. I turned the engine off and then tried to turn it back on and the car was dead!....I took the keys out and started it again and all was fine.

I will keep an eye on your thread to see what comments come in.

I've just paid out about £1000 3 weeks ago to have the car service and nothing came up. Not sure I can afford to take it back in for a computer diagnostics test!!

I would simply suggest you both get your batteries tested, (the car battery) don't leave it until the battery goes dead.

Good luck,
John

OK as promised i checked today and the general consensus was the battery even with the key in the off position unless you remove it the car is not fully off that can cause a few problems.
As John said get your charging circuit checked to ensure its OK and just mention it to the dealer when its next in there might be a stored code for the steering angle sensor it is very voltage sensitive.

Good Luck
Dan

Same here

I get the same fault on my clk 320(W208). I also think battery but battery on mine has checked out fine. My independant garage has suggested a sensor.

Restarting the car resolves the problem everytime. It has been raining when mine has happened more times than not(Possibly wipers on as well as radio a/c etc.)

I am not really concerned. I do not think anythig major wrong. I have just replace pads disks and brake fluid and it still happens(frequency about twice a year)

Craig

Thanks folks for all the useful info - this forum is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom