Wierd stuff on my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dtodo

Car
2014 B180
Hi Everyone,

I live in Cyprus and have just received my car from the uk. It is a 2013 E350 Bluetec estate. The car is perfect and am amazed by the whole car. It is my first diesel and the 3 liter power plant is just WOW:eek:

Anyway!

I have a few questions that hopefully someone knows the answers to:thumb:

I have no idea what these two things are!

Red button and switch under steering wheel, next to bonnet release:
20160921_220759.jpg

Little black box under front license plate:
20160921_2147181.jpg

20160921_214658.jpg

The little black box has a wire coming out of it and going somewhere in the back of the engine bay (lost it behind the engine)

Hope someone could shed some light on this for me

Thanks
Demetris

That thing under you license plate looks a lot like the connection for a block heater, but that seems like an odd thing for a car from the UK to have. - I've only ever seen them in Scandinavia (and in pictures from Canada).

No idea about the button and switch; could then be to make use of the connector at the front? - Other ideas include a rather crude immobiliser system, and/or a crude way to active some kind of "performance tuning box".

Hi POBODY and thanks for the reply!

Isn't it too far away from the engine to be a block heater?

I thought i could be some sort of radar blocker? But how does it work then?

About the switch, i had the same thought about the immo system.

Other ideas anyone? :)

That thing under you license plate looks a lot like the connection for a block heater, but that seems like an odd thing for a car from the UK to have. - I've only ever seen them in Scandinavia (and in pictures from Canada).

No idea about the button and switch; could then be to make use of the connector at the front? - Other ideas include a rather crude immobiliser system, and/or a crude way to active some kind of "performance tuning box".

Red button and switch under steering wheel, next to bonnet release:
20160921_220759.jpg

Ejector seat :bannana:

dtodo said:
Hi Everyone, I live in Cyprus and have just received my car from the uk. It is a 2013 E350 Bluetec estate. The car is perfect and am amazed by the whole car. It is my first diesel and the 3 liter power plant is just WOW:eek: Anyway! I have a few questions that hopefully someone knows the answers to:thumb: I have no idea what these two things are! Red button and switch under steering wheel, next to bonnet release: Little black box under front license plate: The little black box has a wire coming out of it and going somewhere in the back of the engine bay (lost it behind the engine) Hope someone could shed some light on this for me Thanks Demetris

Red button and toggle switch could be an aftermarket ODB disabling/ lock.

Maybe I'm being stupid....but doesn't your car already have parking sensors? Or...is this a system to thwart police speed measurement under a different name?

Ernie

Maybe I'm being stupid....but doesn't your car already have parking sensors? Or...is this a system to thwart police speed measurement under a different name?

Ernie

I think that's exactly what it is.
If a foreign laser signal is detected the G9 will alarm the user and try to deflect the interference

Antilaser AL G9 Laser Jammer Reviews and Video Gallery

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=G...=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So I was correct. (smug face here) :D

Last edited:
Half correct. - It's only jamming laser speed guns pointed at the front of the car... but still a pretty good guess, so kudos to you.

Although not actually illegal, unlike radar jamming, there's still a risk of getting charged with perverting the course of justice (because you're interfering with police equipment) if you're caught with that in the UK (I don't know about Cyprus).

Although not actually illegal, unlike radar jamming, there's still a risk of getting charged with perverting the course of justice (because you're interfering with police equipment) if you're caught with that in the UK (I don't know about Cyprus).

I thought they were VERY illegal, with big fine if caught, so was surprised to see it so visible (they're usually hidden). What is it that makes that one OK?

As Rory says, not illegal per se but you'll be in deep do-da if caught using one.

David Barton Motorist's Lawyer

Perhaps that gizmo is a garage/gate opener?

I thought they were VERY illegal, with big fine if caught, so was surprised to see it so visible (they're usually hidden). What is it that makes that one OK?
That it's a laser jammer, not radar... so maybe it's not really for blocking police speed guns, it's for opening your garage door/gate from quite a distance away.

In which case it's only illegal if you've been using it to pervert the course of justice (i.e. prevent someone getting a read on your speed).

The question I would be asking is why you would hide the activation button down by the OBD port if it's got a legitimate use.

I think the button by the OBD port is for the OBD port lock, not the 'garage door opener'

Maybe, but the "G9 Guardian" does include both a toggle and momentary switch so I unless there's another set somewhere else I suspect that's what they're for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom