Wife locked keys in boot...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark-E

Car
E250 cdi coupe auto BE / E220 cdi / Vito 109
Picture no sound indoors today.

Went down to the coast, family outing, had a fab day.
Wife went back to car to fetch a couple of towels as kids had been paddling.
When she came back, she said small issue, she had unlocked boot only, put keys in boot, got out towels then shut boot.

6 hrs later at midnite, we are still in the car park freezing our cobs off.

AA came out, managed to prize rear small window of the w212 coupe down and pulled door opener. Unlock knob came up, but door deadbolted.

He said you might need to ring mobilo, which I did.
AA man said due to car park height bar, they could not recover us. It would cost at least £400 to "skid" the car out the carpark, which I would have to pay AND it would not be today.. With that he waved goodbye and said ring us if you don't get sorted.

Mobilo never sent anybody out but took 3 hrs to to tell me they couldn't recover also. They said ring a taxi and get home, but we had the dog (wet) and we tried a few, but they were not interested.

Long and short of it I had to organise somebody from work to go in, open safe and get spare key - 120 mile trip at midnite.

Motto is : never give your wife your key. Avoid fobbing the boot open (I never do but wife USED to all the time).

I just wondered if I order a spare skeleton key (one inside the fob) and hide this up somewhere under the car, would I be able to get in the boot ?

Just wondered what else can be done to get around a prob like this ?

(I've been googling divorce all morning...)

Last edited:
Frustrating. But a design fault that this can happen at all.

This is an old device which fits under the wheelarch:

39492-chadwick_magnetic_key_holder_spare_car_key_holder.jpg

Just keep in mind that while a perpetrator who happens to find the spare key might not be able drive the car away, any damage caused to the vehicle by someone who entered it with the spare key will not be covered by your insurance.

See also:

http://www.laleisure.co.uk/motorhome-key-safe-31-p.asp

Last edited:
Edit

Last edited:
Picture no sound indoors today.

Went down to the coast, family outing, had a fab day.
Wife went back to car to fetch a couple of towels as kids had been paddling.
When she came back, she said small issue, she had unlocked boot only, put keys in boot, got out towels then shut boot.

6 hrs later at midnite, we are still in the car park freezing our cobs off.

AA came out, managed to prize rear small window of the w212 coupe down and pulled door opener. Unlock knob came up, but door deadbolted.

He said you might need to ring mobilo, which I did.
AA man said due to car park height bar, they could not recover us. It would cost at least £400 to "skid" the car out the carpark, which I would have to pay AND it would not be today.. With that he waved goodbye and said ring us if you don't get sorted.

Mobilo never sent anybody out but took 3 hrs to to tell me they couldn't recover also. They said ring a taxi and get home, but we had the dog (wet) and we tried a few, but they were not interested.

Long and short of it I had to organise somebody from work to go in, open safe and get spare key - 120 mile trip at midnite.

Motto is : never give your wife your key. Avoid fobbing the boot open (I never do but wife USED to all the time).

I just wondered if I order a spare skeleton key (one inside the fob) and hide this up somewhere under the car, would I be able to get in the boot ?

Just wondered what else can be done to get around a prob like this ?

(I've been googling divorce all morning...)

That would get you into the boot alright, however, it’s not just locking your keys in the boot that can be the problem, the remote can be lost or stolen or just fail to work. It takes an event like this to make you realise that keeping the spare keys far away from the car is not such a good idea.

I learned my lesson when I lost my keys on the side of mountain, now I have a metal blade concealed outside the car and my spare remotes are concealed inside the car.

Dec

Just a thick Merc I'm afaid. With my A8 , it's do sam clever. One day I took off my overcoat to put it in the boot. Keyless entry as you know unlocks as you are next to the car. So the key was in my overcoat pocket and i put the coat in the boot and closed it. The boot kept popping open. I'm thinking now the lock has gone wonky but then I realised the key was in my overcoat pocket and now in the boot. The car also recognised this and would not shut the boot.
Audi A8, leagues ahead of s class etc...

Last edited:
I used to keep a spare cable tied under the car on top of a pipe, wrapped in a bag. I might do it again, with the emergency flat key thing hidden somewhere...

Why not keep the flat emergency key in your wallet?

Just a thick Merc I'm afaid. With my A8 , it's do sam clever. One day I took off my overcoat to put it in the boot. Keyless entry as you know unlocks as you are next to the car. So the key was in my overcoat pocket and i put the coat in the boot and closed it. The boot kept popping open. I'm thinking now the lock has gone wonky but then I realised the key was in my overcoat pocket and now in the boot. The car also recognised this and would not shut the boot.

But that's a keyless entry thing, not an Audi thing. Mine does the same - very useful.

Last edited:

Just a problem with electronic everything cars I'm afraid .

On my cars , you'd actually have to turn the key and lock the boot before placing the keys inside and closing it . No remote fobs or electronic trickery to cause problems . Plus keys for my cars are only £21 each from the dealers and not the stupid money wanted for electronic ones .

Apart from that , I have three keys for each of my cars ( apart from the new one recently acquired , but not for long ) I have one key , SWMBO has her own key and there is a spare in the key safe at home . Generally , if we are out together we each have a key with us , and if I were to lock myself out of the car I could either call her to come with her key or try the old tennis ball trick on the boot lock :)

Impossible to do that in a 2003 S500. It recognises where the key is and won't lock the vehicle, or boot, with the key inside.

myself out of the car I could either call her to come with her key or try the old tennis ball trick on the boot lock :)[/QUOTE]

What on earth is the old tennis ball trick? :confused:

It's on YouTube....

HB said:

Also with KG equipped MB if you loose the keycard inside the car the star will tell you where is is....exactly where it is too. Audi who?

Had some Hyundai hire car the other week and could not shut the tailgate, Odd I thought, but then the key only had to be in the car to start it! Never had anything like this, took the keys up the drive away from the car and hey presto it locked.

Spare key in a safe at work? why?

Maybe its time to put the spare key in the wifes handbag.

Last edited:
You should have locked her in the boot - just so she can understand what those poor keys felt like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom