Wifes car and an artic Lorry !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
On Friday my wife was ramed of the road by a Foden artic Lorry!

She has survived the accident but her car is totaled. She is hurt on her right side, head, shoulder, arm and leg. The driver of the lorry has admited liability to the police (apparently) who arrived on the scene along with fire brigade and ambulance. :eek:

The MG was ramed as the driver did not see her when he changed lanes. The car ended up sideways on a pavment with the drivers door up parallel to the lorrys bumper, She is really shaken up, and emotionally terrified of cars and has constant visions of the Lorry.

We have legal cover but I wanted to know if I should stick with the insurance legal people or go for a claims recovery people like helphire to persue for compensation, what can and cannot we claim back?

:( very sorry to hear about tht Koolvin. I hope she recovers + loses those thoughts soon. Maybe stick a brief holiday in the proceedings somewhere to somewhere she's always wanted to go?

K,

Seperate to your insurance and legal cover, are you a member of the AA or RAC?

If so, I'd phone their legal assistance department - as they will give you the best unbiased [and free] opinion as to what you can do and how to do it.

I've used them a few times before [AA] and they have been truly wonderful.

And as Dave says - get away for a few days somewhere (by train maybe?) - it will certainly help her get back on track and a big aid to recovery.

Might also be worth her getting a full medical report written up.

Is she sleeping ok?

K

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Koolvin. I'm sure all our thoughts are with both you and your wife. Hope she feels better soon.

Really sorry to hear your news, best wishes to your wife for a full recovery.

With regards the claim, the insurance companies can be slow but some of these claims companies have a bad reputation for being sharks. If you are insured with a good company they should have good legal people.

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news K. :( My best wishes to you & Mrs. K. for her speedy recovery.

S.

If you do go for a claims recovery type thing DON'T go for all those that advertise on the TV... Go direct to a local solicitor, and tell them you want no fees... They will then claim all of their costs from the 3rd Party.. Don't get into loan or credit/insurance agreements.. There is no need... If you are really stuck PM me and I can give you the name of an excellent solicitor and personal friend who will not charge you a penny and will deduct nothing from your award.

PS I am not advertising - merely answering a question and offering advice..

Hope your wife recovers soon...

Mike

Wishing a quick recovery for your wife.

I might be wrong but make sure your case is fool proof before you sue someone, should you lose you might not have to pay your legal fees (eg no win no fees) but you may be liable for the defendants legal fees, these can be ridiculously high!

Hope she gets better soon.

Stick with your insurance company, it forms part of your premium at the end of the day.

And... the driver may have admitted liablity, I am sure his insurers will see things differently.

Hi Koolvin,

can't really comment on the legal matter, but I'm really sorry to hear about what happened. Hope she, and you get through this as quickly as possible.

Koolvin, best wishes for your wife, please pass on our thoughts.

Ask lots of questions , even to those that advertise on TV and see what they present to you about what they will offer alongside solicitors etc

If i remember rightly, the govt are bringing out new legislation to combat these "no win, no fee" companies. Like its been said, check them out thoroughly.

hope you both are ok ....is yourself or you wife in a union if so they have access to this kind of help ...... again I would go for RAC or AA if poss , also check out your house insurance for legal cover it may extend to RTA,s

sorry to hear abt the accident Vin, hope the Mrs recovers quickly!, as said above, AA and RAC legal teams are very good!, claim recovery people will take a good chunk of whatever you get!

Hope your wife is okay - thats a very scary accident. I would avoid claims recovery people outside of your insurance co. tbh, its just a lot of hassle and they will take a large chunk of any return. Just my personal opinion - I'd also ask what you expect to get back and why ? Dragging out compensation claims may cause your wife to re live the story over and over again instead of speeding her recovery.

Koolvin. REALLY sorry to hear this news. Hopefully your wife will make a speedy recovery both physically and emotionally, however, if she is still having trouble with nerves in a bit make sure she gets counselling to help put it behind her.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
I had a similar situation when my wife was involved in an accident 3 days before our wedding and claimed for whiplash injuries when she was hit in the rear.
I would have her checked out thoroughly by your doctor as soon as possible as if you go down the compensation route you will have to provide medical evidence of any harm caused. If she needs to wear a neck brace make sure you take photos of her with it on. The claim was pursued through the leagl aid provided by the insurance company.
We eventually did receive compensation but that was over a year after the incident.
Mac.

Sorry to hear this mate.
I have seen some very bad accidents involving lorries and cars in my 15 yrs on the road behind the wheel of one of these monsters.
They really are 44 tonne killing machines.
Hope Mrs K recovers soon.

Just to add my voice, I really hope she gets better soon. Even the mention of this brings back some very bad memories so I hope Mrs K gets through this thing quickly.
All the best from the lotus household

Glad the Mrs is ok. It's the type of accident when you are doing everything correct, but lorries just put everything in thier favour due to the mass that is being moved. Hope she recovers soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom