wifes driving licence is it legal ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coupe deville

Car
93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
When we married in 2001 the wife didn't inform DVLA as to name and address change as she hadn't driven for years. I have never seen her drive a car although she passed her test in 1983.
This morning she received bumph from the DVLA [ posted to her former address, her parents house ] informing her they needed an updated photo as her photo card licence is 10 years old. She is now panicking about the £1000 fine it states on the form that can be levied for not keeping them up to date with new name and address.
I say she is ok as she hasn't driven in that time and if she sorts it now [ new photo, new name, new address ] she will be ok but she's worried. She is contemplating ignoring it and never driving again but I don't want her to lose her licence. I am 10 years older than her and who knows what can happen in the future. I might need someone to chauffer me around. Some refresher lessons and she would be ok.
Does anyone know the legal position ?

I would just send it off with new photo and new address and not worry about it, particularly if she's not actually been driving.

I agree with Bill, just update it now, nobody will be any the wiser.

She was obviously still contactable via the address they had so it's fine. I asked a traffic cop customer the same question a few years ago as mine also had my parents address on. Name, well it took me over a year from when we got married to do mine (and passport) and many women keep their maiden name so I don't think there will be a problem with that either!

Also doing it all at once means only 1 charge!

Kate

If her parents still live there and she is scared, use the old address for the renewal and as soon as she gets it , then do a change. no one will be none the wiser

Don't worry about it, as long as she was contactable at that address there is no problem... if you are lucky enough to have a holiday home where you live for the summer you don't have to change your address to that every summer because you are still contactable at your winter address

I did the same thing recently. I applied for a photocard licence (having a paper one previously), and also notified them of my change of address (which actually happened 20 years ago)

I sent them my £17.50 cheque, the fee for a new licence, and they returned the cheque with my new photocard licence, telling me it was a just a change of detials, so the fee wasn't payable.

The DVLA don't give a toss where you live.

I've also been done for speeding in the past, at which point the address on my paper licence was wrong, but nobody cared then either.

PJ

She still has a driving record held with DVLA. They have responded purely as the driving licence needs updating.

When she sends her photocard application to DVLA with the corresponding fee, she should apply in her new name, sending her old licence back and her marriage certificate. After she recieves the licence at her mothers address, send it back with a change of address.

No charges, and nothing at all to worry about.

But she can get her address changed at the same time., then the license doesn't need to go back to her parents' house.

Do it all in one go, say I.

I've never heard of a single person getting a £1000 fine, or any fine for that matter. It may be the law, but I don't think it is applied too much.

Russ

Only reason I suggested changing the address at a later time, is because if you change name AND address at the same time, they may suspect ID theft, and it would be a pain in the neck having to explain why you are still receiving post at the old address, yet applying to have receipt of the licence at another address.

Just for an easier life...

Just say that she kept her maiden name when she wed and has only now decided to change it to her married name. Perfectly legal and not uncommon.

thanks for all your advice guys, she's going to go for it and plead insanity [well she did marry me the fool] if they get tetchy

It will be fine! I got a producer and had a previous address on my driving licence. I was a little worried, however at the station I just said I hadn't got round to sending it off so they just put a note for the DVLA to change the address at the same time as adding my points. No problem. No questions asked.

The requirement is "an address suitable for the service of summons", so as long as she'd get it, not a problem.

There are folks who spend their entire life on the road and retain the same address on their licence, no problem.

I've never heard of a single person getting a £1000 fine, or any fine for that matter. It may be the law, but I don't think it is applied too much.

Russ

If you do move and you are not contactable at the old address, for God's sake get the Driving Licence amended.
A friend of mine, with no previous convictions, went to court and was fined £1200 for having his ex-student address on the licence !:eek:

If you do move and you are not contactable at the old address, for God's sake get the Driving Licence amended.
A friend of mine, with no previous convictions, went to court and was fined £1200 for having his ex-student address on the licence !:eek:

I thought the fine was £1000?
He must have been fined for something else if it was £1200?

Russ

She's got her licence back this morning, all updated with new photo [ black and white ? ] new address and married name, no probs.
The Las Vegas marriage licence that she had to send [ photo copies not accepted ] to verify her new name has also been returned separately. She's so relieved that I think I'm on a promise

Last edited:
Just send it back and renew....I sent off for a new one for my missus having lost her old one. We moved 7 years earlier and did not inform them. No problem at all, new licence through the post a couple of weeks later to our home address.

Last edited:
Maybe he had registered his new car at the old address to dodge parking tickets etc - being the bit he didn't bother to tell you about (plus £200 Court fees):D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom