Wifey hit a pheasant... Cost of replacement grill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimboDS

Car
C350 CDI Sport Plus, RX8 replaced by Mazda2 (wife's)
I'll find out when I talk to MB but just been sent this picture by Mrs DS. She hit a pheasant driving to work. Looks like I need a replacement grill.

Any idea what the damage is likely to be?

Like I say, I'll find out when I talk to MB but guess that won't be today and I'm wondering how much this will hurt my wallet :(

IMG-20130328-WA0000.jpg

To be honest I'm thankful it wasn't worse as I've seen a pheasant do MUCH more damage to a car. ...And if it had been a deer :crazy:

Main thing is, it can be fixed.

Most definitely.

2 bar grill did cross my mind! Unless it's a really easy job I was planning on taking it to MB (car is only 6 months old) but will enquire about the AMG style grill.

For some reason that link is blocked on my work PC!

^ too be honest the video part of the link didn't work and as it turns out its two differnet cars that they show the bird hits..

Bottom line is a Bird goes through the window of a Boxster and probaably over 100mph... blood and bird bits everywhere. Lucky though right in the centre of the car !

:eek: Lucky!

Unless it's a really easy job I was planning on taking it to MB

It's definitely worth having a quick look at what's involved. Don't know about the C Class, but on the W639 the grille is just held by two screws at the top. Changing it takes literally a minute or two.

Changed the grille on my 2010 E Coupe. Cost about £130 from MB and there were a few concealed clips to release. They printed a page from their Workshop info system for me. Took 15 mins when you know what to look for.

Last edited:
Did she at least stop & cook the pheasant for dinner ? haha.

Hit a rabbit on the motorway once...was told I needed a new bumber.
Brought it to a motorbike workshop, that do plastic repair for bike fairing etc when guys come off..Guy did a plastic weld repair, got the paint in & re-sprayed.

Car was perfect & costs were cheap. Think all in it came to approx €150.

probarbly best to avoid hitting peasants if you can , I nearly hit 1 the other day but luckily my a b s worked and I managed to stop in time , mind you the car following had a fright when they nearly ended up in my boot !

Thanks guys. I'll take a closer look when I get home.

Anyone got a photo of the AMG grill on a Diamond Silver car? I'm wondering how it'd look.

To be honest I'm thankful it wasn't worse as I've seen a pheasant do MUCH more damage to a car. ...And if it had been a deer :crazy:

But it wasn't... :doh:

One would like to think she might see a Deer in the road.

Last edited:
i had a problem when a branch of a tree pulled out in front of me/ran out in the road

the lower grille was damaged - it only cost £19 however the repair on a C63 requires removal of a large proportion of the front of the car at a labour cost of approx £350!
anyway MB and myself had a chat and i paid for the grille and you hopefully dont have a C63

how big was the pheasant?

But it wasn't... :doh:

One would like to think she might see a Deer in the road.

Yes. But I've seen deer dart out from hedges. Phesent flew across road so sounds like really was nothing she could have done.

how big was the pheasant?

Don't know. I was half expecting to have to pull it out from behind the grill but there is no sign of it so must have bounced off. She hit it as it flew across in front rather than head on luckily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom