Wifi booster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kinaero

Car
E220CDI AMG SPORT Estate
I need a decent wifi booster.

Got this eSynic wifi repeater from Ebay, great when its working, but keep dropping connection)

Then bought TP-Link, even worse, couldn't even connect it, quickly returned it.

I do not want a powerline adaptor type, I seem to have extremely poor signal output (9 Mbit/s!!)for the whole floor, no matter which socket I use, think the wiring loom on the first floor might be separate to the wiring looms on the ground floor where the router is.

Could anyone kindly point me to a decent wifi booster please,

Last edited:
What router are you using? It makes sense to use equipment by the same manufacturer if you can.

I've got a wifi bridge to the spare bedroom which is where the printer is located, 3com kit at both ends and it's almost seamless. Once in a blue moon it drops connection, I cycle the power on the WAP in the bedroom and it's all up and running again in 2 minutes.

Cheers,

Gaz

What router are you using? It makes sense to use equipment by the same manufacturer if you can.

I've got a wifi bridge to the spare bedroom which is where the printer is located, 3com kit at both ends and it's almost seamless. Once in a blue moon it drops connection, I cycle the power on the WAP in the bedroom and it's all up and running again in 2 minutes.

Cheers,

Gaz
Thanks gaz, I use BT Homehub 5 infiniti, I am not a techy guy, so I don't know what you mean by WAP or cycle the power??

I use the Devolo powerline adaptor, although very expensive, but I think its the best!

I am trying to get connection with my DVR, so I could view CCTV on my phone

I have just take my wifi repeater off and re-connected up with my Devolo again, and I can view the cctv on my phone again, but the speed is very slow 7Mbit/s to 17Mbit/s compared to the rest of Devolo around the house with speed running as high as 500Mbit/s !!!

Cycle the power = switch it off and switch it on again. Fixes 99% of IT problems
wink.gif
. WAP = Wireless Access Point - basically a wifi extender, it connects to the wifi signal from the router and converts it into a wired (Cat5) ethernet connection - to plug into the ethernet port on the printer, in my case.

So from what I gather you want to connect your home CCTV DVR to your router to serve images/video for viewing on a remote device (i.e. a phone) and need an intermediary device to do so, as you can't connect to your router using a cable?

It seems your Devolo devices are working correctly if your network speed is ~500Mbps, however your DVR is is probably set to serve remote low bandwidth devices (such as a phone, under 3G) at lower speeds, so your 7 to 17Mbps is probably about right. However, if you're streaming video to your phone over 3G, then once it leaves your router you're in the hands of the phone carrier.

Cheers,

Gaz

I have a TP Link (WA830) here and it's been brilliant. I use a Linksys router and they seem to pair nicely.

I had a few problems setting it up initially, in that I didn't bother reading instructions, but it's now been in place for a few months and been fine in this black spot which is my living room.

It did suggest pairing it via the button thing on the router but this wouldn't work for me so I did it through the supplied CD eventually.

Cycle the power = switch it off and switch it on again. Fixes 99% of IT problems
wink.gif
. WAP = Wireless Access Point - basically a wifi extender, it connects to the wifi signal from the router and converts it into a wired (Cat5) ethernet connection - to plug into the ethernet port on the printer, in my case.
Thanks again for your IT lesson :D Yes I have cycled the power several times, everytime I did that, it'd connect, but soon after it would lost the connection again :dk: What i don't understand is the signal from the wifi repeater was very strong, somehow it constantly dropping connection :confused:

So from what I gather you want to connect your home CCTV DVR to your router to serve images/video for viewing on a remote device (i.e. a phone) and need an intermediary device to do so, as you can't connect to your router using a cable?
Yes I guess I can do that, but the cable would have to be very very long indeed, the DVR is hidden in the loft, and the router is downstairs in the hallway, so you could imagine the problem. :doh:

It seems your Devolo devices are working correctly if your network speed is ~500Mbps, however your DVR is is probably set to serve remote low bandwidth devices (such as a phone, under 3G) at lower speeds, so your 7 to 17Mbps is probably about right. However, if you're streaming video to your phone over 3G, then once it leaves your router you're in the hands of the phone carrier.
I've installed the Devolo software which would show every powerline adaptor plugged in its speed, status and various other options I could play with :thumb: Right now it's showing running at 9Mbit/s and telling me its unstable :doh: Lets hope it'll stay connected :dk:

I have a TP Link (WA830) here and it's been brilliant. I use a Linksys router and they seem to pair nicely.

I had a few problems setting it up initially, in that I didn't bother reading instructions, but it's now been in place for a few months and been fine in this black spot which is my living room.

It did suggest pairing it via the button thing on the router but this wouldn't work for me so I did it through the supplied CD eventually.
Mine was WA850, if all else fail, I might try your WA830.

aldi have wifi boosters in at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom