WiFi controlled central heating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Guys,
My central heating/hot water programmer has failed so need to replace it.
Was thinking this would be a good time to upgrade to a wifi enabled set up.

Anyone got this kind of thing in their homes?

Seems to be a bigger thing in the States than here at the moment. Not many manufacturers selling kit in the UK it seems.

Worcester Bosch do wireless controllers, but I believe they are WB specific.

There's a brand that Selco sell, but the name escapes me.

What a bunch of lazy bast........

When we installed the new boiler last month, we kept the old thermostat and timer units (apparently they come in matched pairs), but the fitter did offer to replace them and said that he would not re-use the wire between the two as all new units are now wirelesses anyway....

Just in case this info helps. As said we kept the old (wired) set-up, simply because they was no need to replace it. So I can't say how good the wireless one is...

Wireless and wifi are not the same thing. I suspect the OP would like to be able to control his heating system from anywhere in the world via his lap top.

Ah, you're missunderstanding me.
I believe your installer was referring to a wireless thermostat whereby a battery powered wall stat sends an RF signal (i.e. wireless) to a receiver unit, which in turn tells the boiler to run.
I have this set up currently.

What I'm after is a setup that does all this via WiFi (not wireless) so I can see what my stat is reading by looking at an app on my phone. I can then use my phone to up the temp so the heating comes on.

Why do I want this? Well, LTD seems to know. :D

Wireless and wifi are not the same thing. I suspect the OP would like to be able to control his heating system from anywhere in the world via his lap top.

Yea that, what he said!!
:thumb:

Salus Controls have just launched a control that can be linked to a home wifi setup.
I have no experience of it at the moment as we were only offered it last week.
I bet it will only control the main thermostat though.

Viessmann also do a system for their 200 series boilers.
Again I'm unsure of the details but could find out if interested.

Another kind of space age option you could look at are Honeywell's intelligent trv's
they have 2 way communication to a central control panel giving you the best possible control of each rooms heating.
Quite expensive at over £300 for a small system and you really need an installer who knows how to set them up

I've looked at the Heatmiser site but I'm a little confused. My understsnding is that the programable thermostats act as a replacement for the timer/programmer unit (perfect, I thought, as my programmer has failed).
But my existing unit is in the airing cupboard and I can't believe a central heating stat is meant to go in an airing cupboard.

Yes I have Google and a few other search engines too.
I was actually asking for opinions from people with these systems in their homes.

Salus Controls have just launched a control that can be linked to a home wifi setup.

Another kind of space age option you could look at are Honeywell's intelligent trv's
they have 2 way communication to a central control panel giving you the best possible control of each rooms heating.
Quite expensive at over £300 for a small system and you really need an installer who knows how to set them up

I have a salus wireless stat at the moment so familiar with the brand. I've read a few bad reviews on them but to be fair, mine's been fine.
I'll look into their wifi kit, thanks for the tip.

I've heard of the 2 way TVRs too. Probably a bit too pricey to get approval from mrs. shr though!

If you have the RT500RF stat I can understand you are having problems.
the frequencies they use are too common and the suffer from interference from anything wireless.
The S series are better but like I have said I'm unsure about this new one.

We do have a guinea pig that has one on order. I shall be inspecting it before it goes out

I can see the wireless devices are useful, neat and tidy without all the wires.

But WIFI? Only useful if you do not have set time leaving the house and coming back home?? All IMO of course.

Can't understand why you want it? Just set the temp you like on the stat and that's it. On the other hand if your stuck at work or in the pub and yours wife's entertaining her mates at home there's some fun to be had!

OK here's a some what suprising (slighty disappointing) update:
Spoke to my installer today about my failed programmer and he said it's covered for 24 months (unlike the 12 months I'd assumed).
So popped down to his supplier this afternoon and they did a like for like swap over for me. Therefore wont be doing down the wifi route just yet.

British Gas provide a remote heating control pack for £199...

Remote Heating Control

I did come across this during my searches but couldn't find anywhere on their site that explains what kit they use. Was thinking if they supply and fit for 200, I could just buy hardware myself and install for half their price.

Do you know what they use?

I can see the wireless devices are useful, neat and tidy without all the wires.

But WIFI? Only useful if you do not have set time leaving the house and coming back home?? All IMO of course.

Can't understand why you want it? Just set the temp you like on the stat and that's it. On the other hand if your stuck at work or in the pub and yours wife's entertaining her mates at home there's some fun to be had!

I agree that it's entirely gimmicky. But I like that kind of stuff.
I'm a wanna be geek I guess.

My dream Merc is the S Class simply because it's the car with the most choice of toys.

Looking at the Salus website, I think it's the iT500 that might fit the bill. Not too many places to buy it yet and it's 200 pounds.
I've now managed to get a warranty replacement for my existing Honeywell programmer so wont actually be going wifi just yet.
But by the time this one fails, I'm hoping the price for the Salus kit (and other competitors) should have come right down.

I take it you're an heating engineer?
Would be good to hear your feedback if you ever fit one of these (or something similar).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom