WiFi transmitter - and Yagi reciever...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
if one were to have a 9Db or so Yagi or similar wifi reciever, a 200 yard distance with a bit of vegitation in between, low background RF rubbish (ie rural), and a 'standard' wifi IP camera - would one get an acceptable B&W picture?

Guy

Might need the directional antenna at both ends (so the camera can transmit) and the veg will cause swings in signal strength, especially when its moving in the wind. Make sure the camera has a removable aerial so you can change it.

The PC World cheapos manage about 50M max in clear space (AND the pics are not good enough for identification in court!).

Symptoms with a yagi only on the transmitter will be that the camera will see the network but will sit there "waiting for the network" as the handshake will be one-way.

We set up a wlan in our carpark for an event and needed a yagi on both the source and target routers before we got a reliable link. We then had to wds a third router in to provide an omnidirectional signal for the PCs.

Sorry I don't know anything helpfull about your post but I think your house is absolutely charming, and I do sympathise wirth you re Estate Agents.

I think in my time in London I met some real Sods and by comparison a couple of real gems. strange to note in the fast times the sods seemed to be every where and in the leaner times nowhere to be seen c/f the gems were still there going about their business in a quiet professional manner.

good luck apologies for hijacking this post..

Steve

I have a couple of 14dB narrow patch antennas that were going to go in the bin as I can't be ****d to put them on eBay. Also have a couple of RP-TNC to "N" patch leads with them on LMR400 cable.

Yours if you want them, will be glad to get them off my shelf and see them go to a good use.

I recon they should work, especially with directional antennas... That said, it all depends on the vegetation. WiFi transmits on a frequency very close to waters, so trees (leafs, etc) being 80% water can wreck havoc on your signal.

Also to note, is Ofcoms "rule"... you have only 100mw ERP... which means that if your wifi card is 20/30mw, you will be limited to around 5/6 dBi gain antennas, (every 3dB doubles the power, so 10mw with a 3db antenna will radiate 20mw, and with a 6db, it will radiate 40mw...)

I tried calling Ofcom a couple of months back to get a permit for something a little more "potent" (one of my wifi cards, without ANY antenna's attached has a 300mw ERP :p) and it seemed to be a no-no, unless I was "developing" something :p

Michele

agatward said:
I have a couple of 14dB narrow patch antennas that were going to go in the bin as I can't be ****d to put them on eBay. Also have a couple of RP-TNC to "N" patch leads with them on LMR400 cable.

Yours if you want them, will be glad to get them off my shelf and see them go to a good use.

this sounds good to me... how where when? (PM me)

Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom