Wildly different figures/claims when remapping an E350 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Power lost through drive train is a constant unless something has been changed to alter that drastically.

Can someone help me understand why after the upgrade - less power loss at the wheels.

Probably the transmission oils offering less resistance as they heat up due to successive runs with sub-optimal cooling.
As said by others, transmission losses are a constant and therefore a linear factor.

Well they only really have the figures at the wheels then they 'extrapolate' the crank figure. So I'm wondering if they 'extrapolated' it incorrectly post-map?

Before: a 1.1474x factor
After: 1.101x factor

If anything, their figures would look more impressive if they applied the same factor post-map, taking it to ~311bhp

Last edited:
Well they only really have the figures at the wheels then they 'extrapolate' the crank figure. So I'm wondering if they 'extrapolated' it incorrectly post-map?

Good point - I'd overlooked that the flywheel figure wasn't actually measured.

If anything, their figures would look more impressive if they applied the same factor post-map, taking it to ~311bhp

They are using a very conservative figure for the powertrain loss of only 11.4%
GAD work on a 15% loss and MSL an 18% loss.

One week on from me
re-map, gotta say WOW it's fantastic, goes like a stabbed rat, acceleration is very very fast, god knows what a mapped AMG E63 must be like :eek: only one regret is that I didn't get it done a LOT earlier. Highly recommend. :)

Serious relaxing of the map torque limiters I expect .

I don't doubt GAD for a second .

I've always wondered with V6 3.0 tdi monsterous torque figures with rear wheel drive Vs an equivalent A4 quattro , guess the traction control is very capable as no complaints .
I've just moved from an audi a5 3.0 tdi Quattro back to mb, an e220d cab... The a5 was remapped to 300 bhp with egr and dpf still in place, due to the mot restrictions, i didn't want to take any chances. The pull from the audi was unreal, damn thing could stop the world turning if I was an evil genius bent on world domination, that is. I've dropped around 130bhp, 600 nm and four wheel drive all for a soft top. I can honestly say that audi was the best fun I have ever had with my clothes on. Really, really miss it and its only been gone a week.
By the way, who or what is GAD? (spot the Newbie...)

Got my CLS 350 265 going to MSL tomorrow for a dyno remap.

After reading some comments here, and knowing that I can spin up the rears with brand new scrubbed in tyres on pretty much every start off if I give it slightly too much, should I be asking for slightly less torque at the lower end of the curve? I don't mind the odd spin on launch but don't want to be spinning up too much in the wet when trying to overtake quickly at 50 for example.

looking forward to the extra power but more looking forward to smoothing out the shifts and overall drive, which they said will be improved. It's also having a gearbox oil service too so that's nice and fresh

Looking into this again as a distraction from the realities of the world.

I've noticed that on their social media, MSL hardly ever get in any diesel cars or diesel E350s, nor do they do any pushing or advertising of tuning diesels or diesel mercedes on their social media. If they do, it's usually BMW 330d or 335d.

Whereas, as much as I don't really like GAD for a variety of reasons, they are doing them day in and day out (again, I can see the cars that come in on social media) and the owner even has/had an E350.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't go to MSL - especially since they might even offer the service to put the ECU back to how it was before the diesel update ruined it - but that's another story.

Anyway, something to distract ourselves with eh.

^ You really need to have a chat with Acid to put your mind at rest.

Yeah, I have a couple of times. Need a more recent chat as I actually spoke to a person from BFT who does the tunes for MSL, and they said it was possible to not only do a map (obviously), but they can also put the car back to how it was before the recent diesel emissions update, before the map takes place etc. So need to get a quote off him for that...

If it's too much, I thought of driving up to them, but it's really a long distance (they're in Middlesborough) from the south!

Yeah, I have a couple of times. Need a more recent chat as I actually spoke to a person from BFT who does the tunes for MSL, and they said it was possible to not only do a map (obviously), but they can also put the car back to how it was before the recent diesel emissions update, before the map takes place etc. So need to get a quote off him for that...

If it's too much, I thought of driving up to them, but it's really a long distance (they're in Middlesborough) from the south!
Do it, Teddy I fuffed and faffed for about for about 22 months of ownership, should i, shouldn't i, finally took the plunge and WOW, wished I'd done it a lot earlier, I got from my 265 bhp c207, 300bhp and 714 Nm torque, I know some quote more, but I'm more than happy with that, acceleration especially in mid range is truly amazing. :)

I will as soon as I can afford it! Got my wheels done recently and then as a self employed renter, I have no idea how long any money I have has to last!

I think I'll do it as a treat once this whole thing hopefully dies down a little.

Would love to get in the 290bhp area (well as close to 300 as possible) and close to 700nm from my 231BHP version!

300bhp / 700nm are nice round numbers :)

John (BFT) has an excellent reputation with his maps and is responsible for a few of the huge bhp 63's to come out of MSL.

Had mine done at msl about 3 years ago and still going well. Didn't have time for a rolling road session but only a few weeks later another e320cdi sport was on the rollers and can't quite remember the actual figures but they were around the 290bhp mark. And mine was downloaded to a laptop then se t to John at bft then uploaded back to the car. Massive difference straight away but acid did say it would take 10 to 20 miles for the car to adapt. It keeps up with golf R's now in a straight line anyway.

Surely a few of us could arrange a group buy somewhere after the lock-down?? Its got to be done..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom