Will a C220 Diesel Automatic make a nice towing car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

javednazeer

I want to know whether the W202 C220 year 1996 diesel car is a good towing car? Also want to know whether it has a transmission cooler already as most models. I want to pull medium sized cars with the help of my c220 diesel via the help of an A frame towing dolly. Need some advice here. Thank you.

PS

At the moment I have got a Fiat Marea TD100 which produces 100 bhp and 200 NM of torque. It is surprisingly fast and with its 200 nm of torque, I have pulled many heavy cars without any problem. My new Mercedes is 2200cc compared to the 1900 cc fiat and it only produces 150 nm of torque. Will this be enough to tow in between 500 - 1000 kgs. Please let me know, I would be very greatful and this will determine whether I need to keep the FIAT or sell my newly bought Merc. Thank you all.

Towing 500-1000 Kg

If you're pulling 500-1000 Kg then either will do fine. I can't think of any medium sized cars that are less than than 1000 Kg, so if you're pulling more that that then gearing and how fast you want to tow will be important. I'd expect your Mercedse to have a higher legal towing limit that the Marea and I'd expect it to tow well

A-frames are only legal when recovering vehicles. VOSA are getting tough on towing so I wouldn't expect to be able to get away with using an A-frame on a regular basis

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom