Will an American iPhone work in Europe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BonzoDog

Car
280 cdi Break S211 Avantgarde, B200 CDI, W245, Autotronic
My wife is an Apple fanatic; ipods, mac books, iMacs and Granny Smiths as well probably.
She wants an iPhone for Christmas. I read recently that the price was down to $399 in the US. If I bought one there would it work in Europe? If not would it be possible and practical to make the necessary changes?

It would work. There is nothing that would stop the phone technology wise.

The thing that would stop you is the lock on the phone to the AT&T network in the US.

However it can be hacked to become unlocked. No idea how its done or who does it, but thats how it is. Quick search in google might be best to get pointers.

It can be unlocked but it is a real pain in the backside.
Try waiting for the European version to come out. It has no 3G capabilities yet but apparently Apple are working on it as without it it just won't sell.

My wife is an Apple fanatic; ipods, mac books, iMacs and Granny Smiths as well probably.
She wants an iPhone for Christmas. I read recently that the price was down to $399 in the US. If I bought one there would it work in Europe? If not would it be possible and practical to make the necessary changes?

Read this. It might help...............
http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx/TidBITS/Talk/1361

Be careful - $99USD to unlock it, and Apple may re-lock it at their leisure.

I have a colleague who has one and its a fantastic piece of kit. It is very user friendly and packs a lot into a smallish package. However, he is based in the USA and as already said, it only works on AT&T networks at present. so his works here under the international roaming agreement AT&T has but its expensive to run that way!

I'd wait for the european one come out.

Thanks for the answers so far.

Having read this (okay not all of it yet) it reminds me yet again of my wife's whimsical way with mobiles. We almost only need to lean out of the window and we are in another country, beep, Welcome to t-online, beep welcome to Lux GSM, beep- Orange and so on, oh and by the way that's another Euro or something.
She is their ideal customer.
Okay but I'll find some way of buying one and she'll pour me another whisky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom