Will be washing my own car for the first time - what's the best / good quality shampoo, snow foam etc

• Thread starter Deleted member 159322
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 159322

Hello all
New here and a happy proud owner of a 2020 CLA.

I have always got my car's washed from the local guys at petrol stations but have decided I want to be washing my own car - so I don't potentially scratch, damage the paint work and most importantly knowing I am using good quality products.

I am no detailer or have the intension to wash my car that intense but would like it to look clean and prestige.

What are the best shampoo to use ?
Ive seen alot of best shampoo reviews online and autoglyn bodywork shampoo and condition is always in the top 2
So I guess this is some good stuff ?

What about snow foam chemical ?
Which is good to use frequently as a prewash and every 2 weeks use it as a quick wash ?

Are chemical guy products any good ? Or are they just over hyped on the commercial side of things on YouTube ?

Take it down the local hand car wash,my local do a great job including snow foam all for £6 not worth getting the buckets out and freezing your whats it's off

Have you got a powerwasher?
If I hadn't just tidied everything away, I'd show you what I used.
Clay bars are great for removing contaminants and getting lovely, smooth paintwork.
Cleanmycar.com have loads of good stuff to keep your pride and joy clean.

Take it down the local hand car wash,my local do a great job including snow foam all for £6 not worth getting the buckets out and freezing your whats it's off
that's cheap! where in Essex is that all the ones around me are £15-£20 minimum

What colour is the car buddy , if it’s black you need to take extra (non swirl mark) precautions .
I have used Chemical Guys and Poorboys stuff for years , both good makes .
If you have an old chamois leather , throw it away !
Get yourself as a minimum a microfibre wash mitt ( CG do a good one) , another cheap microfibre mitt for side skirts and wheels , and a decent microfibre drying towel .
I‘m sure LeeLV will be along soon with lots of tips

that's cheap! where in Essex is that all the ones around me are £15-£20 minimum

Well it is in Dovercourt nice people there is even a cafe for a coffee and a bacon sandwich if you want

That's the place to take it if you want your paintwork ruined . Those sponges hold the grit really well. Up to you though.

Last edited:
They have a number of lambs wool sponges and if they drop one it not used again,the car behind me was a short wheel base Bentley they do inside of the door shuts and the boot shuts,it is too cold to get the buckets out.

There are several safe methods to this, and everyone has an opinion on what is best.

If you look on most of my threads about detailing and washing , snow foam etc you'll find plenty of good results and reviews buddy.

But as for lambs wool mitts and sponges, they are the most aggressive forms of contact washing. It's a proven fact.

No thanks

Been doing that for years with my old lexus
It was like if it went in for a wash it would come out looking worst!
Swirl, scratch marks, patches of muck not washed properly
They would use wheel cleaner spray on the body work for hard to remove dirt

Used to think I should have left it mucky ... Looked better that way

Because the Lexus was full of scratches etc I was no longer bothered

Have you got a powerwasher?
If I hadn't just tidied everything away, I'd show you what I used.
Clay bars are great for removing contaminants and getting lovely, smooth paintwork.
Cleanmycar.com have loads of good stuff to keep your pride and joy clean.
Currently got absolutely zilch!!
Will be buying everything

Pressure washer = karcher K2 full control (Refurbished directly from Karcher)

Snow foam gun = autobrite
(Got excellent reviews)

Micro fibre mits to wash the car
Think Chemical guys the name comes up alot for mits

Dry the car: I was thinking of some sort of leaf blower / air blower - drying the car with a towel or something not feeling it
Precious YouTube videos I watched all raved about air blower drying the car is the way forward ?

Shampoo: autoglyn bodywork shampoo and conditioner

Snow foam: autoglyn polar blast
Again alot of reviews I've come across this one is always in the top 2

Wheel cleaner: built-hamber
Again apparently everyone is raving a out this product

Leather seat cleaner: Dodo Juice Supernatural
Again everyone is raving about this

Dashboard / cockpit cleaner: Dodo Juice Total Wipe Out Refill Concentrate, but not sure if this would be any good on the shiny piano black plastic we have on the centre console and also the silver aluminium looking bits

Window cleaner: armour glass cleaner

Polish / wax: no Idea and it's probably something I'll do once in a blue moon

Black external plastic bits: ERM no idea what to use for this

If you think better products are out there price was that do better or similar pls suggest

The colour of my car is digital white

What colour is the car buddy , if it’s black you need to take extra (non swirl mark) precautions .
I have used Chemical Guys and Poorboys stuff for years , both good makes .
If you have an old chamois leather , throw it away !
Get yourself as a minimum a microfibre wash mitt ( CG do a good one) , another cheap microfibre mitt for side skirts and wheels , and a decent microfibre drying towel .
I‘m sure LeeLV will be along soon with lots of tips
The colour of my car is Digital white

Didn't want to make the same mistake twice (buying a black car)
Scratch marks, swirls scuff wow so hard to maintain

White ok will get dirty quickly but you won't see the swirls, scuffs etc as bad

Yes looking at buying chemical guys micro fibre was mits

To dry the car looking into air blower / leaf blower
I don't want to dry it with a towel it's bloody hard work

That's the place to take it if you want your paintwork ruined . Those sponges hold the grit really well. Up to you though.
Your dam right
1 cloth does it for all,
Window clean, dashboard clean, dry the car, wipe dirt marks of body

There are several safe methods to this, and everyone has an opinion on what is best.

If you look on most of my threads about detailing and washing , snow foam etc you'll find plenty of good results and reviews buddy.

But as for lambs wool mitts and sponges, they are the most aggressive forms of contact washing. It's a proven fact.
That's totally true
Everyone will have there own preferences
That is why I'm looking at majority products that are recommended

I am no detailer and neither will I be spending so much time washing the car like a detailer.

Only looking to use microfibre MIT's especially chemical guys

Ok guys ...
Am I missing something here ??
What's with the funny remarks ?

Is it implying to me or others ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom