Will changing wheels and tyres help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CooperSMini

Car
E Class Estate
My E Class Estate has 18 inch wheels with 265/35/18 on the rear and 245/40/18 on the front. It feels like the suspension is non-existant on these bad roads, can anyone tell me what size of wheels and tyres I would need IF it would make a difference to the ride, and road noise. I don't really want low profiles. I have had two older Mercs and they were brilliant.

You need a smaller diameter wheel with a larger sidewall on the tyre..

But a smaller wheel might not fit your brakes..

What size winter wheels / tyres are recommended for your car? That might help identify a wheel size that fits...

I would in your case contact your local dealer with your vin and first check your wheel and tyre combination is correct for your vehicle as I have seen incorrect fitted wheels and tyres before then ask what winter wheel and tyres you can fit to the vehicle

Regards

what car is it. model, year etc

IIRC, the E classes from around 2010 onwards had 235/45/17 as the smallest wheel size available on the SE models, 18" on the 'sport' .

Fairly sure the sports had the drilled discs but I'm not 100% sure whether there was any difference in the size of the caliper, more of a cosmetic 'ugrade'. I preferred the ride on the smaller wheels. Handbook will confirm which sizes were available but you'd need to confirm a smaller wheel will fit over 'sport' calipers.

If it's an E63 I think 18" was the smallest wheel size.

What size winter wheels / tyres are recommended for your car? That might help identify a wheel size that fits...

That would be my suggestion too. - My winter tyres are on a 17" rim and definitely look taller than the 255/35/R18s on the rear.

Agreed with all the above. We need to understand what spec of E class you're running.

The inside of your fuel cap with tell you how small the wheels can be on your car. If you're running a small engined W211, they could be as small as 16 inches - but let's see exactly what you're running. And let us know what tyres are on them - you may have curious run flats on there.

MERCEDES E320 E270 W211 SET OF 4 16" ALLOY WHEELS WITH 225-55-16 GOOD TYRES | eBay

Check the distance between front brake caliper and the inside of the rim. This will give a good indicator whether you can fit 16 inch rims.

If you have a spare wheel , it’s size is probably the smallest diameter that fits

The above tyre sizes / wheel combo are as fitted to my E-class saloon. I think you can go to a 17” wheel.

Hi all, this is my 1st post. I started with a '67 W110, then W123, W201, W202 but I am still very much a rookie with the techie stuff. My fifth, a 2006 W211 estate is in need of winter tyres. It’s a E220 cdi currently on 225-55-16s (what size winter tyres I wonder? same 16"s?). Also thinking will a 18 “ W221 wheels fit? if so will it need different bolts and then what size winter tyres? Never thought to check out the fuel cap for winter tyre data. All ideas welcome. Adday

Your allowable tyre sizes are on the fuel cap.

The smaller sizes are best for winter, the bigger sizes are for a harder ride in Summer.

EBay is full of cheap German winter tyres on wheels, due to German regulatory rules.
Be wary of old tyres: by definition Winter tyres

Be wary of old tyres:

Look out for the DOT number. It comprises four digits, the first two being the week number ('01' being the first week of the year) and the final two digits indicating the year of manufacture ('04' being 2004).

Generally anything over five years is best left alone, considering that winter tyres are slower to wear and you'll have them for a few years yourself.

Old tyres (imo, those near or over 6 years old) - even if they have lots of thread remaining - will have hardened so much that the ride, grip and handling is adversely affected.

also, make sure tyre pressures are appropriate for the loads the car nor carries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom