Will it pass MOT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dynamicq

Car
W219 320CDI
Hi guys.

To keep it short. I sort of live between two countries at the moment. RHD (UK) and LHD one.

My projector lenses in the headlights need replacement. The car is UK registered.

I am planning to ordering the projectors with flat headlight pattern. Will this pass MOT? Photo is attached.

PS.

Yes I am aware of it being less safe for myself.

No I don't want to put stickers and remove them every week.

No my projector lens doesn't have a switch inside it like some other Hella 2 classic projectors.

At the moment my headlights are so crap, no one even flashes at me without stickers. Needless to say I hardly see anything at night.
a809541ad1df1527d234195212f83708.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Flat tops should be OK:

""A flat top or other alternative headlamp dipped beam pattern is acceptable as long as all of the beam upper edge, including any ‘peak’ is contained within the appropriate tolerance band.""

This quote is from section 4.1.2 of Gov.uk's MOT Inspection manual for private passenger and light commercial vehicles:

MOT inspection manual for private passenger and light commercial vehicles

That section then gives diagrams for acceptable beam patterns for 'European type' headlamps, and also 'British/American type' asymmetrical beam headlamps.

PS It seems that up to 1/2 of the light sources of LED headlamps can be inoperative before the defect category changes from 'Minor' to 'Major.

Last edited:
Flat tops should be OK:

""A flat top or other alternative headlamp dipped beam pattern is acceptable as long as all of the beam upper edge, including any ‘peak’ is contained within the appropriate tolerance band.""

This quote is from section 4.1.2 of Gov.uk's MOT Inspection manual for private passenger and light commercial vehicles:

MOT inspection manual for private passenger and light commercial vehicles

That section then gives diagrams for acceptable beam patterns for 'European type' headlamps, and also 'British/American type' asymmetrical beam headlamps.

PS It seems that up to 1/2 of the light sources of LED headlamps can be inoperative before the defect category changes from 'Minor' to 'Major.
Thank you!

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom