Will MB copy BMW?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who came up with the idea that this would be a good thing and help to sell more cars?

BMW's New M5 Will Play Engine Sounds Through Its Car Stereo

The new Z4 sdrive28i has an electronic sound generator in the exhaust system. Presumably the 4 cylinder eco-sports-turbo lump doesn't sound as good as it goes.

I'm not for this sort of style over substance.

That said I can recall a long time ago that the great LJK Setright once enthused about how Honda tuned the exhaust system of a new model for sound.

That was seems more respectable than faking it completely - even though both are trying to active the same thing.

Mazda spent considerable effort tuning the exhaust note of the MX5.

The new Z4 sdrive28i has an electronic sound generator in the exhaust system. Presumably the 4 cylinder eco-sports-turbo lump doesn't sound as good as it goes.

I'm not for this sort of style over substance.

That said I can recall a long time ago that the great LJK Setright once enthused about how Honda tuned the exhaust system of a new model for sound.

That was seems more respectable than faking it completely - even though both are trying to active the same thing.

I don't know why someone would pay over £30k for a car with a 4 clyinder engine. I just would want "more".

A nice big I6 in there maybe or a compromise, an I5. They make a great sound and are still ok on fuel.

I4 gives better balance and handling than an I6 or V configuration, as long as the designer has balanced the harmonics correctly, that's why Porsche used to make 3.0 litre turbo I4 none of the other configuration's suited the 944 or 968 design. Give me a turbo I4 anyday over a NA I6 or V6

Some F1 cars in the 80's had 4 cylinder 1500cc turbo engines.

1300 bhp in qualifying mode........you still want more Steve? :)

For a road car where "sound" plays an important factor (its a drop top) then no way is an I4 nicer to have. BMW have majorly short changed their customers.

For weight distribution, it will obviously have its advantages being lighter and shorter (so less mass upfront) but I believe in the case of a Z4 then entire I6 can be housed within the wheel base. In the case of a CLK230k and a CLK320 or 430, I can see how the balance of the 230 car will be better, however, the 430 and 320 will hear a nicer sound. On a coupe this is less important, on a drop top very.

Audi place I4 engines over the front axle, and they understeer. Its not so much the engine, as where its placed within the car.

I can see the merits of the smaller downsized engine, but at £30k I would want something more "interesting" than a I4 engine.

I4 gives better balance and handling than an I6 or V configuration, as long as the designer has balanced the harmonics correctly, that's why Porsche used to make 3.0 litre turbo I4 none of the other configuration's suited the 944 or 968 design.

Back in my day the I6 was considered to be considered smoothest.

V6's tended to be seen as a compromise to meet size constraints.

Give me a turbo I4 anyday over a NA I6 or V6

No thankyou to the I4 if I can have a I6 or V6.

And no thankyou to the turbo unless it's a diesel.

They did call them 'grenade' engines. Only good for a few laps qualifying.

And the lower spec race engines presumably needed at least a rebuild every 200km or so assuming they didn't go bang

We'll have to get used to it. As long as they rev to 9k four cylinder engines sound ok. Honda's S2000 was testament to that, although it could break the current uk speed limit in gears 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6...

I hate to say it on here but I've always been a bit of a BMW fan, especially of the inline 6 engines and they were always more elikely to be in a manual which I prefer.....However, in recent years getting hold of a BMW with a big engine AND a manual box is near impossible. On my last search, I got an E91 330d but had to go for an auto. To be honest, Mercedes do big engine autos far better in my opinion especially with the 7G box.

With this new strategy from BMW, it seams that they will have small turbo 4cyl engines, probably all in auto....with sound effects to make it sound better?!?!?!? I'm a big fan of acoustics in exhaust note but this plan sounds grim to me!

Mercedes have a real chance to steal some of their market, this latest generation in the last 5 years or so are lovely.......I wish they'd make more manuals for poor people like me who can't afford a brand new one!

Remember they tried the same trick with the XJ220. :doh:

ADVANCE order book spec = V12 engine with 4WD :thumb:

PRODUCTION model spec = turbocharged V6 with RWD :crazy:
If Will is lucky, his new Jag may come with a V6 diesel.

I can't say much, but for sure the car won't be lacking in the horsepower department.

I'm all for piping the REAL engine noise through the stereo - but emulated noise as this appears to be doesn't interest me. Real noise from a mic would actually be handy if there's a noise your trying to diagnose as your driving along wondering if it's your car or someone else's :D

Wish they could fit this technology to the little "Fizzy 50" motor bikes the local lads have. I am tired of the awful noise, perhaps they could sound like a Harley.

I remember clipping a playing card with a peg to my cycle to give it some engine noise when I was about 7 years old. Perhaps BMW could try this on there cars :rolleyes: This is just the same principle but for 40 year old boys.

Wish they could fit this technology to the little "Fizzy 50" motor bikes the local lads have. I am tired of the awful noise, perhaps they could sound like a Harley.

Harley? They always sound just broken.

Harley? They always sound just broken.

That's because they normally are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom