Will mercedes cover the cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Borys

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 cl500
I gave my S class to MB to run diagnostic due to my smoking problem
Merc called me, they found a blockage in MAF sensor, cleared that,car was still smoking.....they said
Checked everything else, and all ok they said
They decided to do compression test manually :-0 and they snapped a glow plug - WTF ?!
Why wouldn't they do that through Star first?
Also I haven't received a phone call asking for permission- really its a tricky thing with glows, I d'like to know
They said they will come back to me after consulting with workshop foreman what will be the next steps
Will I need to pay for every thing?
I gave them a car to check on smoking issue not to brake a glow plug
What do guys think, any experiences?

Surely STAR is an electronic diagnostic system - you can't do a compression test with that? So therefore the plugs have to come out.

I don't know how often glow plugs need changing - I argued the toss with MB when they wanted to change my spark plugs at 4 years/14000 miles. In the end I had to back down - yes the plugs were hardly worn out at that mileage but from a maintenance point of view they need to be replaced (or more economically taken in/out) at certain intervals before they seize in the threads.

Why not wait to see what MB say before going off on one? They'll more than likely take it on the chin and replace the broken plug themselves..

Cheers,

Gaz

I'm talking about glow plugs not spark plugs (glow are very tricky to do,you need skill and luck)
And Star has an option in actual values to check compression as injectors can be checked too
I'm not going off, posted to see other experiences
My car is a diesel totally different then petrol

The work they have carried out under your authorisation is what you are eligible to pay for only. Anything done without your authorisation should not be your responsibility/cost. If MB did not ask for permission and carry out a task, then I would sit down and get things straight and clear with them.

I'm talking about glow plugs not spark plugs (glow are very tricky to do,you need skill and luck)
And Star has an option in actual values to check compression as injectors can be checked too
I'm not going off, posted to see other experiences
My car is a diesel totally different then petrol

Fair play - I've taken apart loads of seized threads, but I've never attempted to change a glow plug so maybe there's an art to it.

Cheers,

Gaz

We all know that glow plugs can snap. The question is: do you think if you had taken them out you wouldn't have broken one?

If "yes", then tell the garage they were incompetent and make them pay;

If "no", then pay them for the cost of the rectification - I am sure they will minimise the cost (well, my dealer would).

Cars are fragile things, and s**t happens.

Ok Only question is diagnostic include compression test?. I think its a bit more complicated on diesel and removing glow plugs is hard (I should be inform prior) Saying that my indy says....I don't want to be cocky but for over 20years working on merc I never snapped a glow plug. he did 6 plugs on my previous S class and 2 on my cls - no prob. i would expect same from main dealer I'll wait what they will come back with. Also not happy in a way as given them car with smoking issue and now have a snapped GP. If for example I will need to pay to rectify that, on top will still be left with smoking issue. Is that fair?

Did you sign anything when you checked your car in?

This in not an invasive medical procedure... they don't need the owner's explicit concent, unless there is a cost involved.

The OP was aware that they were carrying-out diagnostics, and if compression test is a reasonable step to take in the circumstances then the owner will be deemed to have approved it.

With regards the broken glow plug... this is a tricky one. Depending on the age and mileage they could argue that the plug seizing is part of normal wear and tear, and not the result of negligent action on their part.

In reality I suspect that would come to some compromise though.

I had a similar issue with a Renault garage, they were replacing the steering column on my Scenic and called to say the steering lock was broken... but eventually they covered the cost as a good will gesture.

Last edited:
markjay said:
This in not an invasive medical procedure... they don't need the owner's explicit concent, unless there is a cost involved. The OP was aware that they were carrying-out diagnostics, and if compression test is a reasonable step to take in the circumstances then the owner will be deemed to have approved it. With regards the broken glow plug... this is a tricky one. Depending on the age and mileage they could argue that the plug seizing is part of normal wear and tear, and not the result of negligent action on their part. In reality I suspect that would come to some compromise though. I had a similar issue with a Renault garage, they were replacing the steering column on my Scenic and called to say the steering lock was broken... but eventually they covered the cost as a good will gesture.

My S class has covered 54k miles, I got a feeling as all big companies trying to save cost employing inexperienced techs lets say 10£ per hour instead paying 30£. foreman would be qualified at reasonable wage supervising-difficult task. Things went wrong
As I mentioned my Indy did all plugs on my previous S with 160k on the clock with no issue
Anyways I'm easy going so open to reasonable solution.
Hope they will put customer satisfaction as priority and we will solve the issue cheaply and quick

Oh and I'm after few deep ones may make a trip to their yard and pick up a nice w222......straight swap tonite :)
They are just around a corner from my place
Have a good night every one and thank you for advise and opinions

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned service history in regard to the dealership's potential response.

If your glow plugs haven't been touched since 2007, for example, I would suggest you've no chance of any contribution, but if serviced as per manufacturer's stipulation, you'll have a better chance - I would have thought.

meeeb said:
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned service history in regard to the dealership's potential response. If your glow plugs haven't been touched since 2007, for example, I would suggest you've no chance of any contribution, but if serviced as per manufacturer's stipulation, you'll have a better chance - I would have thought.

Full mercedes service history
Even glows not touched since 2007 why now without letting me know?

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned service history in regard to the dealership's potential response.

If your glow plugs haven't been touched since 2007, for example, I would suggest you've no chance of any contribution, but if serviced as per manufacturer's stipulation, you'll have a better chance - I would have thought.

Some years ago I did manage to get a 75% refund from Vauxhall for the cost of repairing a failed timing gear - my point was that the car was serviced to manufacturer's specifications by a Vauxhall dealer from new, and that the failed timing gear was due to incorrect maintenance procedures. They did subsequently reduce the change interval from 80k / 8 years to 40k / 4 years.

So there may be a case to argue that the car was serviced to manufactuer's specification from new and that siezed glow plugs are the result of incorrect maintenance procedure - I.e. the glow plugs should be removed every 4 years in the same way that spark plugs are.

But your best bet is probably a good-will gesture from the dealer rather than a letter exchange with MB UK.

Last edited:
Got the car back today
They covered all labour cost, paid for glow plugs......3 of them
How can you do that? One broken - leave it, do not make it worse and on the top there was no problem with them in the first place. 3 broken glow plugs on 50k miles car is it bad luck or bad workmanship?
Obviously I spoken with service manager.First words of his mouth :
- " just to clarify before we proceed glow plugs they brake them selfs we are only removing them" .... imagine I did kick off a bit
Anyways I've got my car safely back

Glow plug do snap quite often when being removed. Especially on the V6 Diesel. Its just one of those things.

Technicians don't want them to snap and we do our best so they don't. We get the engine hot and use a special penetrating fluid.

Its not the Technicians fault. It just happens.

I get your point
Do you inform your customer what can happen?
Do you ask for his authorisation to do it? - I wasn't informed, wanted diagnostic done not plugs removed
From personal experience had 10 plugs in total replaced in the past without a broken one (one car had 160K on the clock).
For money MB charges I expect premium service.
From 6 plugs 3 broken on 50k mile car don't think it is a bad luck.
MB books 1.5hrs to change a plug (i may be wrong) - how can you do this procedure getting the car properly warm?

Just for reference, MB do not consider glow plugs as a serviceable item. That's what was told to my dad when he went to enquire about a service for his V6 320 CDI @ MB Leicester. So does this mean that glow plugs should.only be replaced if faulty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom