Will the budget VED rates have an adverse affect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6CylinderMerc

Car
W203 C240 Elegance
We all know that as of next year the VED (road tax) rates will expand to more bands & increase in cost to penalise the higher polluting cars (yeah, right! :p ). The highest band will be Band M, for the biggest polluters {allegedly} that emit more than 255g of Co2 per km..

Now, this got me thinking & through the magic of google, I found out that my C240 emits 256g of Co2 per km. This would put me in Band M :( , but as it was registered before Mar 2001 I'm not re-banded :) . However, I will change it one day & if I were to get another exact same model, only younger, I would find myself in the top band by virtue of 1g per km. :mad:

So, thinking even deeper into the subject, I wonder how many people will just think "Well, I'm in the top band anyway, might as well just get a 5 litre V8". :confused: :confused: . Personally speaking, if I'm going to get penalised by being in the top band then I'm going the whole hog & at least have a smile on my face while driving. CLK55 springs to mind....

Look Darling, there's a big hole in your foot where you just shot yourself! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This has already been suggested elsewhere. If you want to do that, and end up paying who-knows-how-much for fuel at 15mpg rather than 30, then go ahead; knock yourself out. :)

This has already been suggested elsewhere. If you want to do that, and end up paying who-knows-how-much for fuel at 15mpg rather than 30, then go ahead; knock yourself out. :)

30? Only if I'm lucky & on a long distance run...;)

There could be the situation that cars just into the top band fall in value as people decide on a larger engine altogether. More people driving bigger engined cars = more emissions. :crazy:
It also = more tax as more fuel is sold so it's probably all part of the conspiracy :rolleyes:

V8s are not necessarily fuel inefficient .. depends on the traffic:

Actual readings from my 55:

30mpg.jpg

mpg.jpg

So, thinking even deeper into the subject, I wonder how many people will just think "Well, I'm in the top band anyway, might as well just get a 5 litre V8".

I'll 'fess up to that exact thought - particularly if the depreciation curves get steeper and the absolute gap between what I have and what I might like dimnishes.

Also I'm quite controlled about my car usage based on cost and will hire a smaller car for business rather than put mileage on my own. However as keeping my car static goes up in cost (tax plus depreciation) then there is more incentive to use it more for business and claim back mileage.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if in 3 years, the highest level of Co2 cars produced was 200g then that will be regarded as too high and so on each year until having a car that produced 50g Co2 was considered anti social.

So, thinking even deeper into the subject, I wonder how many people will just think "Well, I'm in the top band anyway, might as well just get a 5 litre V8". :confused: :confused: . Personally speaking, if I'm going to get penalised by being in the top band then I'm going the whole hog & at least have a smile on my face while driving. CLK55 springs to mind....

Had the same thought too. It's going to be expensive anyway, so any incremental cost is a drop in the ocean.

For example, an ML320 CDi will be band M so may as well have an ML500!!

Yes, but there is a real risk that the depreciation curves on these cars becomes exponential, as the VED increases exponentially year-on-year.

So although a 5-litre V8 might be cheaper to buy next year, say; it may well be markedly harder to sell on in another few years, once VED for them has reached £1000

I don't want to scaremonger, but it's a possibility.

PJ

PS: Oh, and I've never driven a 240, so I was guessing about MPG :)
PPS: It's no wonder you're selling your car, Sean - you obviously drive like an old woman! ;)

The long distance reading was actually a very fast drive .. bear in mind 1 hour of the elapsed time was going through central London.

Look at the average speed. Plus the car was fully loaded, 4 people and luggage.

PPS: It's no wonder you're selling your car, Sean - you obviously drive like an old woman! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom