will there be a C Class convertible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
i'm starting to think about our 'what next?' car decision, possibly this Sept but more than likely i think it'll be next Spring time...

just wondered if MB would be bringing out a C Class convertible? i found some info from a couple of years ago that said it was going to happen, & then found some later reports that said plans had been shelved as it might take away sales from the more expensive E cab :dk:

i don't mind the E Class, but i love the new C Class Coupe more! i've toyed with the idea of a Lexus IS 250C but i think it will be under powered compared to what i'm used to. i don't think i could bring myself to look at the BM* (shudder) 1 or 3 series, the blue badge just gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason! :p

definitely want to stay with a soft top but there just doesn't seem that much on offer at the moment that ticks all the boxes for us...

(btw, don't mention a Jag, the man of the house seems to think it would look nice on the drive, but as i'm the main driver - too big & expensive mate! :rolleyes:)

They're not going to make a C-Convertible for this generation (new facelift) because of the development costs - which is a shame! But the next generation model will be available as a convertible.

I'm running around in a red C250CDI coupe whilst my E350 is getting repaired at the minute and love it!

Audi ?
Volvo ?
Saab - bit old fashioned and shakes ?

I think the E class convertible is based on the C class but made to look like an E for pricing... but I may be way off with that one.

so when is the next generation due?

yes, i think the E is based on the C, sure i read it somewhere.
Audi don't do a great deal for me. Volvo, i doubt i'd ever get him anywhere near one! Saab? aren't they in danger of going 'pop' sometime soon? I quite like the look of the Saab too...

having a wander around auto trader for some ideas & found this, didn't realise the convertible was available in the UK. looks a bit like the Lexus SC430? which isn't a good thing! beautiful car but very ugly in my eyes, the Infiniti looks a little better i think (if i squint...) anyone know when a new SC430 is due at all?

p.s. what's your E350 in for Dr Nab?

Last edited:
Do you need 4 seats, or would a 2+2 be OK? We have a C270 estate as the shopping trolley etc, and a Porsche 968 cabriolet for fun - you can even get them with a tip gearbox similar to the MB box (I have 2, a coupe and a cab, still trying to sell the coupe). Not a common car - there's only about 110 left on the road in UK!

According to a tech I know who's high up at MB UK he said the simplest way to view the new E-Coupe/Cabrio platform is 70% C-Class 30% E-Class - which parts make up the percentages I have no idea but he said that a lot of the architecture of the two models is very similar, the E-Saloon being an upsized C-Class platform, but all of that doesn't really bother me a great deal.

Today it's in for the wind deflector to be fixed/replaced as it keeps unbolting itself, on occasions the tonneau cover doesn't like being shut when the roof is down (sits at a 1cm angle) but the car's computer states that it is shut, the brushed aluminium strip that runs around the car has blemishes on it over the part on the back of the tonneau cover so they're being replaced, the dash pod sounds like there are a family of crickets living in it because it flexes against the glass covering the dials - how they'll fix that I don't know?? Also when I'm driving with the roof down it starts beeping and having a bitch fit at me saying that the roof is in use and not fully open/closed - when it clearly is...? No idea may be some sort of sensor that has gone!

Prior to today it's been in and out of the dealership getting bits done to it since I had it:

Coolant problem after 300 miles (coolant all over engine bay)
Wrong engine map (sounds stupid but very true, have the star printout from mobilo)
Samcat sensor failure (causing the coolant issues)
Gearbox resets/updates (x2 separate trips to get it sorted)

All in all I've made 6 trips including today to get it sorted plus two trips from where I had the Brabus upgrade done since getting the car in December.

Next gen C-Class isn't due until around 2012/13.

That Infiniti doesn't look too bad....... :ban:

it does really need to be 4 seats or at least the same amount of room as our CLK now, we manage to fill the boot & back seat on our regular trips to Cornwall. bodyboard, wetsuit, flippers, golf clubs etc - all awkward things to pack ya know! :eek:

2012/13 isn't too far away for the new C Class i suppose. i won't swap just for the sake of having a new toy to play with, i still love the looks & performance of ours but it's the little niggle in the back of my mind about reliability. will another 2 years of keeping it mean some hefty repair bills?

crikey Dr Nab! :eek: that's a slightly shocking list you've got there on your 'new' & expensive car.

the CLK is the most expensive car we've ever bought, & it's the only one that's ever had to go back for problems to be sorted. it was 3 months out of warranty with less than 23k on the clock when the the transmission failed, it would have cost £1500-£1800 to fix but we ended up paying £200. MB build quality & reliability somewhat tarnished i think :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom