Will these alloys look good on my E class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Distronic

Car
W204 C class
Hi, so I have a 2015 E class saloon. It's an SE model not AMG. Reason I ended up going with SE was because I wanted the utmost ride quality possible. Anyway, I'm thinking that I'd like to personalise my car a bit and sharpen it up slightly by putting some cool alloys on it (the original standard ones are lovely as they are but I'm always eyeing up accessories lol). So do you think these would suit my car, or would they not because the SE sits a bit higher than AMG models and the front bumper is a smoother shape than the AMG models? Have never done this before on a Merc.

If anyone else has put 1 inch bigger custom wheels on their SE, how did it affect the ride quality?

Are there any potential probs with putting bigger wheels on? I had a car in the past that when I put bigger wheels on I could have sworn that the new wheel bearings wore quite fast.

Also, how much would it affect the ride quality overall?

Have attached a pic of my car as it is now so you get some perspective.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• MERC PNG 1.png
    MERC PNG 1.png
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 40
  • MERC PNG 2.png
    MERC PNG 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Look good yes , but having just one layer of paint on top of bare metal is vulnerable to the white worm .

Look good yes , but having just one layer of paint on top of bare metal is vulnerable to the white worm .
Oh ok thanks. Would there be any way that I could prevent it like by applying a sealant/protectant or wax to the wheels?

Not for me sorry. I think they look cheap and tacky . Especially on a mercedes . Its like a pensioner wearing a full track suit n trainers.

Bigger wheels usually look better.

The bad news is that the price is that the ride quality suffers, you get more wear to the suspension, you’ll fret about wheel rash and parking curb damage, and the tyres will cost more.

Test drive before you buy, but if you really enjoy limo ride quality but the smallest size specified

If you really want the best possible ride, don't fit larger wheels. Simples.

Going up one inch in diameter may not make all that much difference, though. What size tyres do you have now, and what size would you fit on the new wheels?

The bad news is that the price is that the ride quality suffers, you get more wear to the suspension, you’ll fret about wheel rash and parking curb damage, and the tyres will cost more.

Test drive before you buy, but if you really enjoy limo ride quality but the smallest size specified

I really don't get the worry about parking damage to alloys - do people not have eyes anymore? Surely if you pay attention to your mirrors, check the height of the kerb you're about to park next to and keep your wits about you, barring natural disaster or abject stupidity, you won't damage your wheels parking?! Its not rocket science....

I really don't get the worry about parking damage to alloys - do people not have eyes anymore? Surely if you pay attention to your mirrors, check the height of the kerb you're about to park next to and keep your wits about you, barring natural disaster or abject stupidity, you won't damage your wheels parking?! Its not rocket science....

You and I don't scuff our wheels parking. We park in large driveways and generous parking bays

The World And Her Dog live in town and parallel park against pavements three or four times a day. When Arabella and Noah misbehave in the back of the car she gets distracted.

A thinner tyre means the driver will scuff her wheel against a pavement more easily. A fatter tyre / smaller wheel means she won't.

But all of that's an aside to the OP who's looking for tyres giving the most comfortable ride, and who won't spend much time on The Nürburgring at 120mph. The smaller wheel / fatter tyre wins every time.

tyre1.jpg

I firmly believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder although after a few pints..... Who cares, who looks like what :)

I firmly believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder although after a few pints..... Who cares, who looks like what :)
Canny few , for the likes of Susan Boyle.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. For some reason I didn’t get notified about any more replies after the first two. Strange. When I finally get time later I’ll read through in detail what everyone has to say.

Not for me sorry. I think they look cheap and tacky . Especially on a mercedes . Its like a pensioner wearing a full track suit n trainers.
Ha ha! I see where you're coming from. Each to their own. What u said reminds me of when I saw a senior couple in a very modified ford on the motorway. I have to admit I have a slight thing for old man car rejuvenation lol.

When I bought the car a few months back the dealer told me he had the alloys refurbed as they weren't up to his sale standards. They look gorgeous with an awesome slightly shiny chrome like finish. Result is that I haven't curbed a single wheel since buying the car because I'm so afraid of spoiling them😁 Each time I park away from home I'm lowering the side mirror to get a good look at where the curb is! I'll probably be needing a new electric mirror motor by Christmas. Yeah I'm a bit concerned for the ride quality, if it's a tiny bit then it's the price to pay for the cool wheels but if it turns it into a w204 sport then i'll be very sorry.

If you really want the best possible ride, don't fit larger wheels. Simples.

Going up one inch in diameter may not make all that much difference, though. What size tyres do you have now, and what size would you fit on the new wheels?
So I'd plan on putting 225/55 R16s on as they are the stock size Merc puts on their AMG W212s and would prob look best. I'm afraid I can't remember what my tyres are and don't have the car on hand to check, but put it this way my current ones are the stock SE size, they're by PACE, nothing fancy so probably already compromising a bit of ride quality, although I've not had the car long so wouldn't know the difference between how my current budget tyres feel and premium ones. Since the car has the SE suspension perhaps having lower profile tyres but being saved by the suspension would cancel out too much added harshness?

Any time with previous cars that I've curbed them was in honesty due to me not watching out enough, adds to the irritation afterwards lol.

You and I don't scuff our wheels parking. We park in large driveways and generous parking bays

The World And Her Dog live in town and parallel park against pavements three or four times a day. When Arabella and Noah misbehave in the back of the car she gets distracted.

A thinner tyre means the driver will scuff her wheel against a pavement more easily. A fatter tyre / smaller wheel means she won't.

But all of that's an aside to the OP who's looking for tyres giving the most comfortable ride, and who won't spend much time on The Nürburgring at 120mph. The smaller wheel / fatter tyre wins every time.

tyre1.jpg
Exactly, my previous w204 AMG was notorious for curbing as those tyres were seriously thin. Can't deny that the way my E class is now is the ultimate setup for smoothness. Just feels like you're gliding over everything. Only thing I wish it had was a raising mode as once managed to scrape the bottom of the car turning into somewhere at an angle. But that would need air of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom