will these tyres fit my clk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sherry69

Car
CLK 270
I have a 2003 clk and the rear tyres are 245 40 r17. would 245 45 r17 fit ok?

Also the front are 225 45 r17, would 225 50 r17 fit ok?

I was thinking of a higher side wall to take a little bit of hardness out of the car. prefer a bit of comfort or am i way off the mark here.

thanks

You would probably be ok to fit those sizes, but it will probably make the speedo read a little bit false. I would suggest that you stick to the original sizes, to be honest.

Use this - TYRESAVE: Tyre Size Calculator to determine the effects.

Last edited:
Hi
The tyres will fit of course but the Rears will be 24mm larger in Diameter and the fronts will be 23mm larger not advisable as will give an inaccurate speedo reading. But if you are are not worried about all is good.

Steve

If you have cruise control , it probably won't work either.

thank you guys great answers.

im a bit concerned about my cruise control now :O(

I'm surprised by that remark, why is that Howard?

:)

Because the rolling diameter is different . The cruise is calibrated to work with a fixed rolling diameter , and altering the size of the tyres can affect it.

If the car comes with 16 inch wheels say , and you put 17's on it , you lower the profile of the tyre to keep the rolling diameter the same , but if you increase the diameter on the same size wheels , it confuses the system.

I'm not saying it definately will , as the change may be within the CC systems tolerances , but it will be an expensive lesson if it isn't.

There have been plenty of 'why isn't my cruise working after i changed my wheels ' threads ...

Because the rolling diameter is different . The cruise is calibrated to work with a fixed rolling diameter , and altering the size of the tyres can affect it.

If the car comes with 16 inch wheels say , and you put 17's on it , you lower the profile of the tyre to keep the rolling diameter the same , but if you increase the diameter on the same size wheels , it confuses the system.

I'm not saying it definately will , as the change may be within the CC systems tolerances , but it will be an expensive lesson if it isn't.

There have been plenty of 'why isn't my cruise working after i changed my wheels ' threads ...

thank you m8.... makes sense when i think on it :O)

Fair enough, makes sense. I only queried because on my last car (not a Benz) I went from the stock 17s to 19s and the cruise control wasn't affected, but we all know how fussy these Mercs are to changes! :D :D

But when you went from the 17's to the 19's , the tyre profile would have dropped accordingly.

I have 40 profile tyres on my CLK ( 17's ) , but my father has 30 profile on his CLK ( 19's ) .

i would like to give an update on this. with the larger tyres on the car it indeed does effect the cruise control. i went and got good part worn tyres that where the correct size and cruise is working as it should again.

thanks for the info guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom