will they try to screw me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adrian5405

Car
2010 C180 Komp Sport (1.6) W204.
Well I dropped the car off at main dealer earlier for a B service tomorrow.
Couldn't decide if the car at 6 years old was worth going to dealer and their extortionate prices or find an indie,

Every single receipt I have from previous owner is from dealer so I guess I wanted to carry it on.
The service is £356 but I've left strong instructions not to spend anymore money without phoning me first.
I know they'll say the front tyres need replacing but not at their prices they won't.

Any idea what other things they'll try to empty my wallet with.

Most certainly discs they'll try and sell you

Take what they advise with a pinch of salt and if really needed, go to an Indy for the work

Also don't let them wash it!

Hmm, interesting about the washing, the car is filthy, they did wash it when it went in for its free health check and they did actually do a good job of it.
Got me worried now lol

At 6 years they'll say a brake fluid change is required (at additional cost as it's not part of the standard B service) as that's every 2 years. However, the air and fuel filters should have been changed at 4 years so should not need doing for another 2 years.

A lot depends on the dealer. My 20 year old SL is still serviced at a main dealer - they are good as gold (in fact they suggested only bringing it in every other year because it does low annual mileage), and give me a big discount (40% off labour plus 15% off parts).

They actually have a "price promise" on tyres.
If you get an online quote printed off they will match it. Our local garage also did a better job than our usual tyre fitters by fully cleaning off the adhesive backing of the old weights.

When I told my dealer the online price, they said it was less than their fitter could buy them, so I bought them online and got the dealer to fit them.

Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

I've price matched indys at my local dealer for my three services under warranty and for the next one (a biggie) I'll be very, very aggressive. This last time, after getting the price as low as possible I then knocked off the 2 x containers of AdBlue worth £27 a shot because it didn't need topping up. Also, never have an MOT at a dealer, find a local place with lower prices that does no repairs. I use a local Ford accredited indy at £25 a time.

Dealers know that FDSH has less value over time so they will be flexible. If your nearest dealer won't play ball, cast the net a little wider and have a day out somewhere. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Well it wasn't too bad to be honest.
Advisory on front tyres which I knew, rear pads and discs 50% wore, and that was it.
Brake fluid changed and the bill was a whole £2 cheaper than they quoted for some strange reason.
All in all not a bad first service experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom