Will this show me speed signs and speed cameras?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Distronic

Car
W204 C class
Hi, I have a 2015 W212 E class and I noticed it doesn’t show me any speed signs or warn about speed cameras on the sat nav screen. Earlier tear Mercs so this as standard so not sure why not on mine. Anyway, does anyone know if this SD card from Ebay will do this? I just purchased the live traffic bundle from the Mercedesme store for £50 and it doesn’t work. When I called support they said they will sort it out but the guy told me that he isn’t aware of that bundle showing me speed signs and cameras so the last thing I can think of is to try this SD card. Also would I have to have a code to enter when I put the SD card into the slot or would it work immediately ( have heard on other posts about people needing codes?)
Thank you.

Traffic sign recognition is an optional extra

As above - Traffic Sign Recognition is an option, and requires a camera behind the rear view mirror.

COMAND does not show speed cameras. You can buy a speed camera database then copy it to SD-Card and import it into COMAND as Personal POI.

It works, but because COMAND treats it as POI as opposed to speed cameras, it will show the camera and sound an alert for all speed cameras within a certain radius around you, i.e. even if the cameras are not actuallly on your route, which can be confusing.

To get speed limits, speed cameras alert, and real time traffic, you can do one of the following:

- Add Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to your car, if it supports it, then use Waze, Apple Maps, or Google Maps.

- Use Waze/Apple/Google Maps on your mobile phone in a cradle

- Replace COMAND with an Android unit

Oh dear that's annoying. My family has a 2012 c class and it shows speed signs and cameras and I don't believe it has any camera mounted in the windscreen. It's nav system is by Garmin and there is a small module that plugs into a socket in the glove compartment. Strange how the c class will display these things without need for camera and my car won't as standard:crazy:

Thanks for letting me know this.

If your families 2012 C class has adaptive braking assist then it will have a camera in the screen.

Roger

With all the latest shenanigans on speed limits, if you're going to rely on anything, it's the camera that has the advantage.

I say that as someone who lives off a very fast, and safe, road that has just had 20mph limits put on it by Councillors who are worrying about the collapse of business in the borough this year (and the subsequent dire effect on Council revenues / services)

10547564.jpg

Oh dear that's annoying. My family has a 2012 c class and it shows speed signs and cameras and I don't believe it has any camera mounted in the windscreen. It's nav system is by Garmin and there is a small module that plugs into a socket in the glove compartment. Strange how the c class will display these things without need for camera and my car won't as standard:crazy:

Thanks for letting me know this.

Your family's 2012 W204 has the Becker Map Pilot system (replaced by Garmin Map Pilot on SD-Card from 2014).

Both the Becker Map Pilot that you are referring to, and later the Garmin Map Pilot, were options available with the Audio20 radio (that did not have built-in Navigation).

The system you have, however, is not Audio20, it is COMAND with built-in Navigation (residing on an internal HDD).

While COMAND is the higher-end unit, it's Navigation system did not have speed camera database, which the more-basic Becker Map Pilot did have.

However, when it comes to speed limits, the Becker Map Pliot had the speed limits included with the maps data. This meant that when speed limits changed, or when there were temporary speed restrictions e.g. at road works, the information shown on the Becker Map Pilot screen was incorrect or out of date.

With COMAND, there's an option called Speed Sign Assist, and it combines speed limit data from the maps with a camera located behind the rear view mirror. The camera allows COMAND to pick-up actual speed limit data from road signs, and so it can detect changes to speed limits as well as temporary speed restrictions.

Run your VIN through a VIN Decoder to see if you have this option. You are looking for option 513, see bellow:

Screenshot-20200926-222255-Drive.jpg

If your car does have this option, then it's probably just a question of activating it in the Settings menu.

Last edited:
On another note, the W212 facelift was equipped with COMAND Online NTG4.5 up to it's last year of production, but on the last year (2016) it was replaced with the newer NTG5*1.

So chances are that your 2015 car was one of the last to be equipped with NTG4.5, which would be the third generation of the unit, called COMAND Online NTG4.5 Gen3, or sometimes referred to as NTG4.7.

In either case, i.e. whether you have NTG4.5 or NTG5*1, www.comandonline.co.uk can offer Apple CarPlay / Android Auto retrofit, which, as said, will allow you to Waze / Apple Maps l / Google Maps on your COMAND screen, and thus have speed limits, speed camera alerts, and live traffic data.

(The speed limits with Waze / Maps etc will be generally up-to-date, though without the camera it is obviously not guaranteed to know of every temporary speed restriction as soon as it's put up)

Last edited:
Your family's 2012 W204 has the Becker Map Pilot system (replaced by Garmin Map Pilot on SD-Card from 2014).

Both the Becker Map Pilot that you are referring to, and later the Garmin Map Pilot, were options available with the Audio20 radio (that did not have built-in Navigation).

The system you have, however, is not Audio20, it is COMAND with built-in Navigation (residing on an internal HDD).

While COMAND is the higher-end unit, it's Navigation system did not have speed camera database, which the more-basic Becker Map Pilot did have.

However, when it comes to speed limits, the Becker Map Pliot had the speed limits included with the maps data. This meant that when speed limits changed, or when there were temporary speed restrictions e.g. at road works, the information shown on the Becker Map Pilot screen was incorrect or out of date.

With COMAND, there's an option called Speed Sign Assist, and it combines speed limit data from the maps with a camera located behind the rear view mirror. The camera allows COMAND to pick-up actual speed limit data from road signs, and so it can detect changes to speed limits as well as temporary speed restrictions.

Run your VIN through a VIN Decoder to see if you have this option. You are looking for option 513, see bellow:

Screenshot-20200926-222255-Drive.jpg

If your car does have this option, then it's probably just a question of activating it in the Settings menu.
Thank you for all that! Now I know why it is that the c class has this function. To be honest I'd rather have a system that might get incorrect if speed limits are changed (which is rare around me) than not have any warnings at all. Sadly It appears that I don't have 513. Shame, oh well. It beats me how a Merc E class requires you to pay extra for it though:wallbash:

On another note, the W212 facelift was equipped with COMAND Online NTG4.5 up to it's last year of production, but on the last year (2016) it was replaced with the newer NTG5*1.

So chances are that your 2015 car was one of the last to be equipped with NTG4.5, which would be the third generation of the unit, called COMAND Online NTG4.5 Gen3, or sometimes referred to as NTG4.7.

In either case, i.e. whether you have NTG4.5 or NTG5*1, www.comandonline.co.uk can offer Apple CarPlay / Android Auto retrofit, which, as said, will allow you to Waze / Apple Maps l / Google Maps on your COMAND screen, and thus have speed limits, speed camera alerts, and live traffic data.

(The speed limits with Waze / Maps etc will be generally up-to-date, though without the camera it is obviously not guaranteed to know of every temporary speed restriction as soon as it's put up)
Yes there are some cool features of command online that I'm thankful for like Internet Radio and Internet search (this doesn't load web pages for me though lol).

With all the latest shenanigans on speed limits, if you're going to rely on anything, it's the camera that has the advantage.

I say that as someone who lives off a very fast, and safe, road that has just had 20mph limits put on it by Councillors who are worrying about the collapse of business in the borough this year (and the subsequent dire effect on Council revenues / services)

10547564.jpg
Exactly! Well put it this way now that i know I don't have this option i'll have to rely solely on my eyes ha ha! I've always been doing that anyway though;)

If your families 2012 C class has adaptive braking assist then it will have a camera in the screen.

Roger
Not sure if it does......by adaptive braking assist do you mean the red warning triangle on the dash that lights up if you get too close behind someone and will brake for you if it thinks you'll hit something?

Yes there are some cool features of command online that I'm thankful for like Internet Radio and Internet search (this doesn't load web pages for me though lol).

I listen to Internet Radio regularly, I do have the TuneIn Radio App on my mobile phone, but I find it much more convenient to listen to it on COMAND. I look-up the radio stations on my phone and set them up as favourites (using the same account name and password as I use in the car), and they then show-up on Internet Radio in the car, which is great.

I also use the weather app in the car.

But I don't find any of the other COMAND Online apps useful.

It is also possible to use here.com from a PC and send a destination to the car's SatNav, I've done that a few times and it does work, though in reality it's just not worth the bother...

Not sure if it does......by adaptive braking assist do you mean the red warning triangle on the dash that lights up if you get too close behind someone and will brake for you if it thinks you'll hit something?

There are different types of camera that can be fitted behind the rearview mirror, depending on the options that the car has. For example if the car has both Distronic and Speed Sign Assist, then the camera will be a different model to that of a car that has only Speed Sign Assist. If the car has no relevant options, then there will be no camera in the windscreen.

So even if a car has a camera fitted in the windscreen, it's not a given that it can be used to activate other options that did not come with the car and also require a camera.

Just read all the way through this and still not sure what system you have ?
Mine is NTG4.5 and I have up to date speed cameras for UK / Europe loaded on the SD card...

I listen to Internet Radio regularly, I do have the TuneIn Radio App on my mobile phone, but I find it much more convenient to listen to it on COMAND. I look-up the radio stations on my phone and set them up as favourites (using the same account name and password as I use in the car), and they then show-up on Internet Radio in the car, which is great.

I also use the weather app in the car.

But I don't find any of the other COMAND Online apps useful.

It is also possible to use here.com from a PC and send a destination to the car's SatNav, I've done that a few times and it does work, though in reality it's just not worth the bother...
Oh right that website looks useful for a more complex address. Mind you I usually get by with just the postcode of anywhere I need to go which doesn’t take too long to enter. I love the internet radio on command because it displays the name of tracks playing when you drive and it looks cool. Unfortunately though it only displays the first part of the track name and I can’t find a way to see the whole name. At least I see the artist at least.

There are different types of camera that can be fitted behind the rearview mirror, depending on the options that the car has. For example if the car has both Distronic and Speed Sign Assist, then the camera will be a different model to that of a car that has only Speed Sign Assist. If the car has no relevant options, then there will be no camera in the windscreen.

So even if a car has a camera fitted in the windscreen, it's not a given that it can be used to activate other options that did not come with the car and also require a camera.
I think our c class doesn’t have any camera fitted. It has only what I think is a rain sensor. So it’s the Garmin module in the glove box that does all the speed sign/ cameras I think. Just wish my E class had something like that from the factory.

Just read all the way through this and still not sure what system you have ?
Mine is NTG4.5 and I have up to date speed cameras for UK / Europe loaded on the SD card...
I’m not sure which version my system is. How would I find this out? If you have cameras on an SD card then do you think the SD card from eBay would provide that for me even though my car doesn’t have a camera? Thanks

I think our c class doesn’t have any camera fitted. It has only what I think is a rain sensor. So it’s the Garmin module in the glove box that does all the speed sign/ cameras I think. Just wish my E class had something like that from the factory.

Yes, the speed limits showing on the Audio20 screen are from the maps data that has been installed on the Becker Map Pilot box in the glove compartment (as I said, on a 2012 car it's Becker, not Garmin).

The speed limit info only gets updated when you purchase a new version of the maps data from the Becker online store (new maps data is released about once a year), which is why it might not always be up-to-date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom