Will Thule cycle carriers fit Mercedes roof bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
On eBay there's much more choice of Thule branded roof mounted cycle carriers compared to Mercedes branded ones, and so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a set at a good price.

Anyone know if they'll fit the Mercedes branded roof bars?

For the W164 they're posh sliding bars, which I suspect are actually manufactured by Thule but I don't know for sure.

All help appreciated.

If you are talking about the bars as fitted to the estate cars then yes they do fit. You need to go on the Thule website and find the number for the foot that fits your rails and job done. That's what I've got on mine.

Chris, thanks for your reply.

We have rails on the ML running from front to rear, and then the Mercedes-branded roof bars which fix to the rails and run from left to right.

I'm trying to find out if the Thule-branded cycle carriers will fit the the Mercedes-branded bars.

Much Googling didn't yield a definitive answer, and Thule stockists said Thule bike carriers would probably fit, but couldn't be sure.

So I picked up a couple of second hand Mercedes bike carriers via ebay. No keys supplied and too late by the time I realised, so seller promised a refund.

Replacements bought via the main dealer parts counter, pricey but this new and improved version really is very good. :thumb:

Mercedes bars and accessories always used to be made for them by Thule .

Mercedes bars and accessories always used to be made for them by Thule .

Main dealer made the same comment, and it makes perfect sense, but the designs are different rather than simple badge engineering.

I suspect the fitting mechanisms are compatible but difficult to find a definitive answer.

Going back to earlier models , the Mercedes products were just badge engineered Thule products , much as a lot of Halfords own brand stuff is .

I have four virtually identical cycle carriers , one badged as Thule and three Halfords ones . I remember when the Mercedes accessory brochure showed the same item .

AIUI , the Mercedes roof boxes are made by Thule .

Over the years THULE have redesigned roofbars and crossbars a number of times so you need to be careful that the mounting kit fits the bars that you have. THULE work hand in hand with many car manufacturers , often taking away complete roof sections to ensure they make a safe fit, and yes, they do make products that are badge-engineered. Their uk distribution centre is in Clevedon , Somerset. If you contact them on 01275 340404 i am sure they will be able to advise you.

Bobby Dazzler said:
Chris, thanks for your reply.

We have rails on the ML running from front to rear, and then the Mercedes-branded roof bars which fix to the rails and run from left to right.

I'm trying to find out if the Thule-branded cycle carriers will fit the the Mercedes-branded bars.

Sorry, missed this. I have the roof rails and then Thule bars so not the same set up. Seen you've bought some so hopefully sorted now. I would've suggested that you could try a bike shop or even Halfrauds and get them to let you try them to make sure they fit. There are only so many variations on bars TBH either square or Aero so so long you choose to fit the correct shape I imagine it would work but don't know for sure.

Sorry, missed this. I have the roof rails and then Thule bars so not the same set up. Seen you've bought some so hopefully sorted now. I would've suggested that you could try a bike shop or even Halfrauds and get them to let you try them to make sure they fit. There are only so many variations on bars TBH either square or Aero so so long you choose to fit the correct shape I imagine it would work but don't know for sure.

I tried a few bike shops (and all stocked other brands but could order Thule), but I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even think of trying Halfords :eek:

:doh:

Always easy to be wise with hindsight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom