Will your Company Car choice affect your child benefit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
As the company car benefit in kind lowers the tax code will your choice of car in the future cost you more than you anticipated? Will this change your choice of car?

Interesting question. But the devil is in the detail, and yesterday was big on announcement and short of detail.

interesting... are you saying that a more expensive car could potentially drop you down into a bracket where you could still be entitled to the £2k odd per year in child benefit?

It is an ill conceived idea this child benefit change imho. It should have been done on household income rather than just the higher earner in the household.

It would appear that a couple both earning £43kPA each and a house hold income of £86k would still be entitled to receive child benefit whereas a couple where one partner is earning £44k and the other say... 10K would not.

In the eyes of .gov.uk, if you earn £44K you must be weathly! What a croc!

interesting... are you saying that a more expensive car could potentially drop you down into a bracket where you could still be entitled to the £2k odd per year in child benefit?

It is an ill conceived idea this child benefit change imho. It should have been done on household income rather than just the higher earner in the household.

It would appear that a couple both earning £43kPA each and a house hold income of £86k would still be entitled to receive child benefit whereas a couple where one partner is earning £44k and the other say... 10K would not.

No Spike, just the opposite. The more expensive or dirty car could cause your tax code to drop more therefore falling into higher rate tax earlier.
Not wishing to get political but they haven't thought this one through. May be right in orincipal but not all consequences thought through. A bit like labours 10p tax fiasco.

In the eyes of .gov.uk, if you earn £44K you must be weathly! What a croc!
Well that is nearly twice the UK average wage so comparatively you are wealthy. Especially as the average is hugely distorted by higher earnings in London and the South East meaning that to many people such a wage would seem like a king's ransom.

Well that is nearly twice the UK average wage so comparatively you are wealthy. Especially as the average is hugely distorted by higher earnings in London and the South East meaning that to many people such a wage would seem like a king's ransom.

I don't earn £44K.....I earn more (not bragging in any way) but it's besides the point.

My wife doesn't work as she chose to stay home and look after our young children until they both start school. For almost 4 years now we've managed to get by on one income and have sacraficed a lot and the child benefit does come in very handy. We get absolutley no other help from the goverment, depsite both of us paying considerable amounts into the system for many, many years! It's a joke!

At least the scratch card / top-up card generation will still receive their handouts!

I too don't have any children, and at the risk of starting a row don't see why anyone should be entitled to child benefit of any kind. Children are a personal choice - a self inflicted drain on your income. Why should the rest of us subsidise your lifestyle choice.

Totally agree however that the change is not that well thought out and should be based on household income as a total.

I too don't have any children, and at the risk of starting a row don't see why anyone should be entitled to child benefit of any kind. Children are a personal choice - a self inflicted drain on your income. Why should the rest of us subsidise your lifestyle choice.

Totally agree however that the change is not that well thought out and should be based on household income as a total.
I see your point but I think you have gone the wrong way about making it..:rolleyes:
Who do you think will become the taxpayers of the future?

I see your point but I think you have gone the wrong way about making it..:rolleyes:
Who do you think will become the taxpayers of the future?

Maybe, having no children, it's of no importance?

Quite a narrow mind view if I may say so. You're already subsidising a lot of other lifestyle choices. Look at the NHS for example. How many clinically obese, alchoholic, drug taking smokers deserve your hard earned? Child Benefit is just an easy "quick fix".

Having children should be a means tested thing. There are too many children being born into poor households where poverty is rife, or drink/drugs are used.

Only when you can afford to have children and support them to an acceptable standard should you be allowed to.

I'm sure the extra money is a nice bonus for people with a good income - these people don't need it. If you really need that money though then you shouldn't be having children in the first place.

Quite a narrow mind view if I may say so. You're already subsidising a lot of other lifestyle choices. Look at the NHS for example. How many clinically obese, alchoholic, drug taking smokers deserve your hard earned? Child Benefit is just an easy "quick fix".

Don't get me started on the NHS. I would abolish it and privatise the lot. And as for the benefits for the workshy and feckless - that would stop immediately.

Having children should be a means tested thing. There are too many children being born into poor households where poverty is rife, or drink/drugs are used.

Only when you can afford to have children and support them to an acceptable standard should you be allowed to.

I'm sure the extra money is a nice bonus for people with a good income - these people don't need it. If you really need that money though then you shouldn't be having children in the first place.

Totally agree. But for these types, having more kids means more benefits.

Totally agree. But for these types, having more kids means more benefits.

That needs to change. And the way that for some not working is a well paid lifestyle choice.

I can see the logic to the way that they have done this. Each person already has a tax code, so (HMRC depending) it should be easy to administer.

If they have to start means testing and the consequent administration, I would imagine a big chunk of the saving would vanish.

Did anyone else see the ITV news last night. There was a woman who said that she earned just over £44k, when working, and because of this she might not go back to work. I still don't get it.

I don't earn £44K.....I earn more (not bragging in any way) but it's besides the point.

My wife doesn't work as she chose to stay home and look after our young children until they both start school. For almost 4 years now we've managed to get by on one income and have sacraficed a lot and the child benefit does come in very handy. We get absolutley no other help from the goverment, depsite both of us paying considerable amounts into the system for many, many years! It's a joke!

At least the scratch card / top-up card generation will still receive their handouts!

don't anybody take this the wrong way but if a family is managing to get by but having to make sacrifices on an income of over £44k theres something badly wrong. Only my view though!!

i know plenty of families earning a lot more than 44k who are just getting by.

Expenses are all relative aren't they.

We need more kids as they are the ones whose taxes will pay our pensions in 20-30y time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom