Win 7 / XP Networking Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Here's a good Friday afternoon problem...

Mrs E has got a new laptop with Windows 7. Our main machine is XP. We have been able to see the XP machine from the W7 machine (she's been able to pull music and work files across) but it's recently stopped. Fed up with the moaning I've had a look, searched through the net, etc, but can't for the life of me work out what's going on.

I can see the XP box from the network map, but within "Computer" it shows the wireless printer, router, and the local W7 box (no XP box).

I can ping W7 > XP and XP > W7 via IP address and name.

Tried with firewalls on and off.

W7 laptop:
Set up for a work network, 128-bit encryption, password-protected sharing off.

XP:
Has simple file-sharing turned off (it's an XP Home machine, but followed the instructions on setting the properties within safe mode)

I'm able to set up a mapped drive so she can get at the stuff she needs, but I'll be getting it in the neck (she's just come in and started already!!).

AFAIK nothing has changed on the XP box, but it is possible that the moody teenager has mucked something up and is denying all knowledge. Any suggestions?

Have you actually still got a share on the XP machine or has it been removed?

In the TCPIP stack do you have client for Microsoft Networks installed?

Going back to basics, are both machines in the same workgroup? Use the help menu for guidance on how to check as XP and Win7 are slightly different.

Perhaps some of the recent XP upgrades[ there have been a lot recently] have changed some security/network settings

Send it back

Take it back.

Buy a Macbook.

All Windows machines are trouble sooner or later. Often sooner. I've had a lot of them. All have been frustrating. Got rid of them all - scrapped.

I have a degree in computing but it doesn't help one bit.

Take it back.

Buy a Macbook.

All Windows machines are trouble sooner or later. Often sooner. I've had a lot of them. All have been frustrating. Got rid of them all - scrapped.

I have a degree in computing but it doesn't help one bit.

Nope - can't stand Macs... refuse to be a sheep and buy into the hype :D

Thanks for all the tips / hints - still doesn't appear, but she's happy with a shared drive so all is happy again in the E household.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom