Win XP question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonl

Car
SLK230
Hi all,

One for the Windows IT folk/experts.....

I just got a new computer and am going through the happy task of reinstalling s/w and xferring data. I have a 120Gb HDD. It's partitioned as follows:

c: => 40 Gb
d: => 80 Gb (came like that)

The "Documents and Settings" directory is currently on c: but i'd like to move it to d:. Can I simply move it (here's hoping) or do I have to do something else?

I'm running Win XP Home Edition (it was pre-installed - I didn't buy it!!) It does wonderful things like hide the Administrator account unless you're in safe mode - MS call it a "design feature", but I have my own description ;)

Ta!

The path in the registry is defined in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

You could manually copy the Documents and Settings tree to where you want it and then change the "profiles directory" to the same path.

You will also probably need to redefine the "my Documents" path by right clicking on the shortcut and remapping it.

There is another setting you could play with...if you go to Administrative tools\Computer management\Local Users\Users then Profile Path and re-define the path to the particular users profile.

I must admit I've never tried either of these but in theory one or the other should work as roaming profiles work just fine.

I would definately err on the side of caution before doing this and take a ghost image of the drive first so you can bail out if it doesnt behave properly after the change.

Last edited:
Sp!ke said:
I would definately err on the side of caution before doing this and take a ghost image of the drive first so you can bail out if it doesnt behave properly after the change.
I would create a test account and try it with that first, if it breaks...big deal! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll play when I'm a bit more sober :devil: If only MS was as simple as unix! :rolleyes:

Simple - get a Mac - the Mercedes of computers (and has UNIX under the hood)

i'm resurrecting the post because i think this is pretty useful to know:

to move your "My Documents" folder somewhere else.....
right-click "My Documents" > Properties > Target tab > Move... > Select a destination

(can someone move this to the IT section as well? cheers!)

Moved !

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom