Win XP Users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
We have a desktop pc with XP Home, and two users, me and Mrs Doofus. We use fast user switching. Today, Mrs D told me that although I was logged on, she wasn't and couldn't. When you clicked on her avatar, the screen flickered, and returned to the logon screen.

So I rebooted the pc, and tried to log her on, which it did with no problems. Only now, I can't log on! Exactly the same symptoms.

So I created a third user, as an administrator, and went to the logon screen, but that user can't log on either.

It looks like a user can log on if nobody else is, but previously (up until yesterday), both users could be logged on, and fast user switching did what it was supposed to.

Any ideas?

TIA

PJ

Is your security event log full?

Try setting it to overwrite events as needed.

It already was.

I've also made sure the Terminal Service is running, and done a system restore back about a week, and everything else I can think of, and it's made no difference.

I've seen somebody say it's to do with Windows' latest update. Does anyone know when that was? I'll restore to before that.

PJ

Windows updates occurr all the time. You can go back and forwards as much as you like with system restore, so go back a month first to see if it fixes things and then try something more recent if it succeeds.

The only other thing I can think of is that a coupole of days ago, my AV did a full scheduled scan, and found 4 risks, all of which were cleaned, but they required a restart. I wonder if that cleaning process did anything to cause the problem?

Google has loads of threads with this problem, but so far nothing they suggest has fixed it. :(

PJ

This has happened to my daughter anumber of time and the only solution I have found is to delete her account and start again.

I tried that too, and it didn't work.

Run a repair install - this will fix pretty much anything.

So past experience tells me that's my Saturday afternoon down the pan then :(

Watch the rugby instead, much more rewarding.:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom