Win7 Hanging on Boot, ?Marvell Driver Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
I'm having seven bells of nightmare with my PC, hoping someone can help.

Due to continual freezing, I ended up doing a clean reinstall of Win7 Home Premium yesterday - and was surprised when, after the BIOS recognised both physical hard drives, Win only saw the C drive - and at 356Gig rather than the 250 I think it was - but did not see the d partition of that drive or the E partition of the second HDD.

So - got Win7 in, plus Kaspersky, Skype, internet connection, and of course there was a raft of Win7 updates to download - so I went for all the important ones (excluding IE, which I don't use) and most of the recommended ones, including I think a Marvell update for the IDE interface Sata 2 controller.

Turned the machine on this morning, it gets to the black windows screen with the 4 cloured blobs - and there it hangs. Can't get any further even trying safe mode or booting from the Win7 DVD (which is genuine!).

Thankfully wife's laptop is fine. Searching the internet I found reports of others having the same problem caused by updating Marvell's SATA/RAID driver. Great - but I can't get into windows to do a driver roll-back!

I have been able to boot the machine using my Kaspersky disc as a rescue disc, have updated scanned - no threats etc found - but can't do anything else.

Any ideas how I can sort this?

Many TIA!

A quick update - I seem to have found a solution of sorts.

From t'internet I found a forum thread about resetting the SATA in the BIOS from whatever to ACHI (or something similar), so did that - and the machine booted from the hard drive, found the primary drive - which is in fact a 400Gig Samsung, so pre re-installation of Win 7 it was partitioned either 150/250 (I'm pretty sure that was how I did it) or 200/200. So, my D drive is history, but at least it's backed up on my 1TB USB drive so all is not lost.

Still no sign of the other HDD - a 500Gig Maxtor. More Googling, downloaded Seagate's (who own Maxtor now) Seatools for DOS, found that the Maxtor HDD was toast, many bad sectors that could not be repaired - hence the non-availability in Win 7. I'm pretty sure most of not all of the stuff on the Maxtor is also on the USB drive.

So, off to Ebuyer for a new 1TB internal HDD (I have free next day delivery from them!!). Once it's here I'll install that - just have to decide whether to have it as primary and re-install the OS on it (partitioned, of course!) or install it as the secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom