Wind blocker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BEJ

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 VW Passat GT estate. SLK- now gone 2010 Hyundai I 10.
I am getting fed up wiyh the MB black mesh wind blocker on my SLK.
I am thinking about trying to get a clear plastic/acrylic/perspex one made up the same as the Porche Boxter.
Has anyone done this, or maybe know of anyone in the Guildford area that may be able to make one, with, hopefully the correct fasteners.
Thanks all. BEJ

If you type "R170 wind deflector" into google, there are many read-made alternatives to choose from :thumb:

Oh, that type of wind blocker ;).

I am getting fed up wiyh the MB black mesh wind blocker on my SLK.
I am thinking about trying to get a clear plastic/acrylic/perspex one made up the same as the Porche Boxter.
Has anyone done this, or maybe know of anyone in the Guildford area that may be able to make one, with, hopefully the correct fasteners.
Thanks all. BEJ
Talk to Tim Schmitt of http://www.windblox.com/ in the USA.
It's made from clear aircraft grade Lexan - which means it's not affected by UV
Took about 10 days to come and cost me under £100.
Don't bother with the edging - it's not necessary, and was difficult to remove, though I did manage. If you have the edging the black line half-ay up you mirror is a pain in the proverbial.
Less expensive without it anyway.
It's really very good indeed - to be heartily recommended - does the job and we're not aware it's there.

Feel happy to mention my name as a very satisfied customer

SteveS

Don't bother with the edging - it's not necessary, and was difficult to remove, though I did manage. If you have the edging the black line half-ay up you mirror is a pain in the proverbial.
It's really very good indeed - to be heartily recommended - does the job and we're not aware it's there.

SteveS
On a different subject for any SLK drivers who want fitted luggage at a sensible cost I also found a German independent firm that can supply SLK luggage which fits well, looks good and is at least 50% of the cost of the official MB version and is very useful when touring!

SteveS

Last edited:
^ Website / contact details?

SteveS

Is the windblox shield actually more effective than the mesh original equipment?

I have looked at their site and they offer a regular and large, but I couldn't find anything on the difference between them.

Jon

Can't help there Jon - I bought mine for the R170 SLK and the greatest improvement was poor weather & nightie visibility to the rear. The mesh net is positively dangerous in some situations but I believe that MB may have expected you to either not use it or remove it. Not particularly useful or practical given the difficulty of stretching it into place.
I'd leave a question for Tim Schmitt - I found him very helpful when I had dealings.
On the SLK it simply sits there and does the job!

SteveS

Last edited:
In the post!

SteveS

I think he may have meant for the luggage.

My mesh screen on the SL flips up and down very easily, but is not hugely effective, so I am wondering if a solid clear screen would work better.

Anyone able to comment?

Jon

Just ordered with Windblox. Hope delivery is quick.
I don't think I require enhanced NIGHTIE visibility.

Just ordered one from Windblox.

Don't think I need "enhanced nightie visibility to the rear" thanks Steve.

Sorry, double entry.

Is the windblox shield actually more effective than the mesh original equipment?
Can't say about the R170, but I bought my wife the genuine MB lexan wind deflector for her R171 and that's much more effective than the mesh version that came with the car as standard.

No, I meant the German independent firm that can supply SLK luggage :dk:
Ahh! My apologies - teach me to double entry post!!

They are:
AeroStylez
René Schmitz
Lehnengasse 23
50354 Hürth
Tel: 02233 / 613553
Cabriokoffer Roadsterbag Koffer für Cabrio und Roadster

Rene communicates in excellent English, as one would expect, They sent me a paypal invoice, the delivery charge was £17 IIRC and my only and I mean only gripe from our point of view is that they fit so well in the car that they don't have (or didn't have…) wheels on. (I suffer from back trouble and am unable to easily lift heavy cases without causing myself grief!)
When being put in the car they fit snuggly enough the second one needs to be pushed gently down to expel the air from underneath. Because of their shape and size I could fit a suit-bag underneath the blind plus two jackets in the space at the back of the blind. The separate luggage carrier slipped in behind the passenger seat
Their Quality is quite remarkable and up to the standard that one would like to use with the SLK ;-)

HTH

SteveS

No, I meant the German independent firm that can supply SLK luggage :dk:
Ahh! My apologies - teach me to double entry post!!

They are:
AeroStylez
René Schmitz
Lehnengasse 23
50354 Hürth
Tel: 02233 / 613553
Cabriokoffer Roadsterbag Koffer für Cabrio und Roadster

Rene communicates in excellent English, as one would expect, They sent me a paypal invoice, the delivery charge was £17 IIRC and my only and I mean only gripe from our point of view is that they fit so well in the car that they don't have (or didn't have…) wheels on. (I suffer from back trouble and am unable to easily lift heavy cases without causing myself grief!)
When being put in the car they fit snuggly enough the second one needs to be pushed gently down to expel the air from underneath. Because of their shape and size I could fit a suit-bag underneath the blind plus two jackets in the space at the back of the blind. The separate luggage carrier - not supplied by them - slipped in behind the passenger seat.
Their Quality is quite remarkable and up to the standard that one would like to use with the SLK

HTH

SteveS

Hello everyone, just joined the group and only had the r171 for a few months. Because of the weather, I have not had the roof off yet. here is my question: if i fit the wind blocker, can I leave it in place and have the roof up until the sun comes out?

Yes. The Perspex one can stay in place all year round. We have an original MB version. The only problem is that at night the comand screen can reflect in it.

Windblocker

Got the Lexan blocker from Tim in the States. Fitted in 2 minutes and is a vast improvement on the MB mesh one.
:thumb::thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom