Wind deflector advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Senator

SUPPORTER
Car
CLK430 Convertible
I'm thinking of getting a wind deflector for the A208 CLK. I see there are plenty of aftermarket ones on ebay (many shipped from Germany), are these as good as genuine ones or is it better to wait for a good used genuine one to come up for sale?

Thanks

If they're anything like ones for a 968 cab, look carefully at what's required to fix them in place. Some of the aftermarket 968 ones needed 1" holes carefully and very accurately cut in the rear quarter panels, whereas the genuine one fitted the existing holes for emergency access/manual closing of the roof. OK, the genuine Porsche one was twice the price of the aftermarket jobbies, but one slight mistake drilling holes and you're in a world of pain!

The CLK has slots specifically for them to fit into thankfully! Both genuine and aftermarket appear to use the same holes.

Can anyone advise?

..... and the same question for a W209....

all I can say is that the genuine one for the A209 is a brilliant piece of kit and transforms use of the car.
Speeds in excess of 80mph (where permitted) can be done with scarcely a ruffle of even my wife's hair - it really is a ‘proper job’ such that I wouldn’t even consider the aftermarket one.
It can also be removed with the roof up, via the back windows, and fits nicely into the boot.

No probs, I have seen a couple of used genuine 208 ones on ebay so might go for one of those.

I tried one of the ebay jobbies a couple of years ago and it was a bad fit and the top part of it kept dropping down. I ended buying a genuine Merc used one complete with the bag. The OEM is a better version as it folds down neatly and will fit in the boot where as most of the aftermarket versions don't. This was for the A209. I kept hold of it when I sold the car as I'll probably get another one at some stage.

It made a massive difference and it is worth having one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom