wind in your hair motoring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

triple h

Car
2007 116i 1 series
saw this on youtube

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

watch the outside lane

Everyone knows in that situation you stop under the bridge to put the roof up

Tsk

For my 10th wedding anniversary, we hired an Aston V8 Vantage convertible, and went away for a weekend to Anglesey. What you see in that video exactly happened to us - motoring along with the top down, and a sudden cloudburst. The thing is, as we were going along at 60 or so, we weren't getting wet at all - but the A55 isn't that long, and we were sttarting to get close to LlanfairPGG. We knew we were going to get saturated when we had to slow down.

So we did exactly what's suggested above. Looked out for a handy bridge, and braked late to stop right under it. Got a little sprinkle on us during the slow down, but nothing too major.

As someone else mentioned.

It obviously wasn’t raining when he put it down, and when you have a convertible you want to enjoy it as much as possible.

So he was trying to have a good time, but unfortunately it started raining. He stopped and put the roof up, as you would. Probably laughed it off and continued...

Meanwhile someone with nothing better to do decided to upload this onto YouTube whilst he laughs from inside his lorry. ‘Haha’ great one mate.

Makes me glad I have the SmartTop module fitted to mine, it raises the speed at which the roof can be closed to pretty much the speed where it stops going over the top.

I'd rather have the odd occasion of getting a bit wet than having to drive a tin top. Does give other motorists a laugh if it happens though.

Used to see a bloke everyday driving with the roof down on his old 2 series BMW, even in the middle of winter (hat, scarf and gloves). Thought hard core and good on him, it was when I saw him in a Mac in the pissing rain I realised it wasn't choice, the roof was obviously broken :D

My 3 wheeler doesn’t have any wet weather equipment at all, no roof, no side windows, no wipers......

In winter I wear a motorcycle jacket, and sometimes a helmet. In rain, as a previous post said, getting wet is only a problem when going slow or stationary, although I have climbed out of the car once or twice looking as if I’ve had an incontinence problem, with rain running off the waterproof jacket onto my trousers☹️

I’ve been in that situation a few times ; as above I like to enjoy the roof down in the SL at every opportunity.

If you keep moving it blows over the top and.you don’t get wet , raising the side windows may help re spray from other vehicles but I generally keep them down .

If just light rain or passing through a shower then no problem at all .

I was only once caught out badly , left Aberdeen in glorious sunshine , but down around Forfar drove into torrential rain , no speed would keep it out so had to stop under a bridge . Got well soaked that time but heater on full dried me out in short order .

I hate driving around in tin coffins without at least a sunroof.

My 3 wheeler doesn’t have any wet weather equipment at all, no roof, no side windows, no wipers......

In winter I wear a motorcycle jacket, and sometimes a helmet. In rain, as a previous post said, getting wet is only a problem when going slow or stationary, although I have climbed out of the car once or twice looking as if I’ve had an incontinence problem, with rain running off the waterproof jacket onto my trousers☹️
Yep , in winter I wear a leather jacket and one of those deputy dawg leather hats with the ear flaps , furry on the inside , and no problem.

I remember a couple of winters back , snow on the ground , exchanging waves with a gent in his Bentley convertible as we both enjoyed top down motoring . Can’t have been that cold as there’s a five degree limit for lowering the soft top on the SL and I wouldn’t risk splitting my windows .

I quite like Clackstar's videos as he lives in Portsmouth so I recognise a lot of the roads. As a BMW convertible driver I dislike the hatred we get though - only one step down from Audi drivers.

Looks like a whole heap of nothing. Car stops to put roof up. Much over 45 in a 2 seater and you don't get wet, I very rarely have the roof up on mine.

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom