Windcsreen Chip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Eh Up Gents. I've picked up a nasty stone chip on my screen. It's in line with the steering wheel, about 6 inches up from the bottom of the screen. It's less than a 10p piece size, but larger than a 5p! 

Am I right in thinking this is OK for MOT purposes and that all I need to do is get it injected with that repair kit so it doesn't spread. 

I really don't fancy having a new screen fitted as everything I have read suggests that Autoglass will mess it up 9 times out of 10 and if you want a good job you need to to forget the £50 insurance jobbie and pay MB big bucks to get it done properly away from your insurance policy. 

Thoughts?!

You may well get away with a repair of that size, as to Autoglass, they replaced my Clk screen some years ago, did a good job but I did insist on a genuine MB screen, which they obtained.

Gary

Repairs are pretty good these days, as long as they (can) fill it and leave no 'legs' otherwise it will crack at some point.

Call the glass repair people on your insurance policy and let them come and attempt a repair, as I think the chip you have will be an MoT fail. The reapirer will soon tell you if it's not repairable! As for Autoglass, my experience of them is 10 years ago with my 968 coupe, the guy damaged the galvanising but hid it under the windscreen seal and said nothing, found out 2 years later when the paint bubbled up. Conversley, the cab screen was replaced by them about 7 years ago (previous owner) and is fine. My insurers use AA Windscreens, I had the S204 done twice in the space of 3 months, could not have asked for better service. the lady that took the order was extremely careful to check about auto wipers etc so the correct screen would be ordered, the fitter was brilliant - was even able to tell me that the screen had already been replaced but the anti-squeal pads along the bottom had not been fitted - but he had some in his toolbox.

I think a lot of it is luck of the draw with the fitter - the AA bloke for our area is great, the guy that did the coupe in Hampshire 10 years ago was not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom