Window 10 Updates..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wu56Shoozz

MB Enthusiast
You'll need a passport to get over the Wall..
Car
MB Vito 111CDi / W203 C Class Saloon 320CDi Avantgarde
Is it me or they've went Nuts....20GB of freakin' updates I'mean WTF??? What's going on? and half of it I don't use.. I mean 3D Objects, Whats that all about? Don't use it... Cortana - Don't use it.. whats with them and taking control of your PC... :mad::mad::mad::mad: :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Is it me or they've went Nuts....20GB of freakin' updates I'mean WTF??? What's going on? and half of it I don't use.. I mean 3D Objects, Whats that all about? Don't use it... Cortana - Don't use it.. whats with them and taking control of your PC... :mad::mad::mad::mad: :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Time to flex that card of yours and get a MacBook ;)

I noticed it changed my keyboard to US !!!!

I fancy a new laptop but after seeing Windows 10 on the one I bought for the kids homework I will stick to Windows 7 Professional, its good enough for my needs.
Intel 7th and 8th generation processors no longer support Windows 7, so if you want to keep Windows 7 then make sure you stick to laptops or desktops equipped with 6th generation processors (i3-6xxx, i5-6xxx, i7-6xxx) or earlier.

Time to flex that card of yours and get a MacBook ;)
MacOS (and iOS) upgrades involve an equal amount of pain as... on the plus side, they are less frequent.

It's changed all my font sizes. My main objection was that it started updating at about 2200 last night, and didn't finish until just before 0100 this morning. Of course, it had the instruction "don't turn off your computer" - next time I might just ignore that. Back to one of my favourite moans - who taught Microsoft how to calculate percentages, as in "update is 84% complete" showing as a message for about 20 minutes?!

The biggest problem with Windows 10 updates is having to change all the security settings back to your choice instead of how Microsoft think we should have them.

Well my partner has a windows 10 laptop and the update took most of the day,the only thing she likes about it is they keep changing the picture at the moment is some lake.

My PC updated this afternoon. It only took 15-20 mins, no problems seen so far.

You can't officially turn off updates on windows 10 home version but there is a trick. If you set your network connection to "metered" it will stop all but the most essential security based updates. It did at one time stop everything but with the advent of version 1709 Microsoft said they would reserve the right to force essential security updates which I think is a good thing. Beware though that if it's a laptop, you need to set every wireless connection to metered. This initially caught me out when I connected at my sons house.

Ultimately though to get rid of the bloat you need to re-install windows 10 from scratch every now and then. I do it once a year or so. It's very easy and quick to do using a download to a USB drive. Most times when an update causes grief a new install will work fine.

Some times on patch Tuesday it can take as long as 5 hours to up load the updates .Worst platform ever made . I have a problem finding pictures and if i need one i look in the windows pictures to find lots of folders so its time consuming to find the picture you need .I am back on this old XP with windows service pack 3 and a walking stick in the way of FireFox.

Thought I’d just update my accounts while the other half is out. That was over an hour ago and it’s still sat at 90%!

And it’s removed HomeGroups so now my printer/scanner needs reinstalling. Sweet!

I still use W7 on my desktop PC, but installed Linux on a couple of laptops. I don't want W10 and when support for W7 ceases, I'll install Linux on my PC too. Granted, Linux needs a bit more tech understanding than Windows, but it is getting ever more like 'shrink-wrapped' software with each iteration.

Q: ' Have you noticed how fast Windows 10 runs?'
A: 'No, neither have I....'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom