Window 10 Updates..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Go to Start,Settings,Personalisation,Lock Screen. You can the disable the default pictures and choose one of your own from thre browse button

How do you stop the crappy "photos" on start up I hate them and they sometimes cause problems..

Pick up pc with windows 10, walk outside, open bin lid, throw pc into bin.:p

Go to Apple shop, buy Apple computer, problem solved.

Yes, I know the the people you disagree with me, they will be administrators and therefore pc savvy, I do not have the time or inclination to learn how to drive a windows 10 pc, Apple serves me ok:)

It's changed all my font sizes. My main objection was that it started updating at about 2200 last night, and didn't finish until just before 0100 this morning. Of course, it had the instruction "don't turn off your computer" - next time I might just ignore that. Back to one of my favourite moans - who taught Microsoft how to calculate percentages, as in "update is 84% complete" showing as a message for about 20 minutes?!
After this latest update from Microsoft, the screen has resized itself...now reading emails is difficult, as most of the screen is devoted to (A) Listing your email location, and (B) The Email sender, and finally on what's left of the screen ( about 1/3 ) the opened email. So you cannot read one full line across without scrolling to see the hidden section. Also now it frequently is displaying " Sorry we have to shut down, and will restart your computer", It frequently freezes, and I have to press the "ON" button to get it to restart. Not exactly happy with it at the moment. I asked a Techie about it, and he said that it should iron itself out with some new updates....so I guess that this major update was a BETA version maybe????

Yes, I know the the people you disagree with me, they will be administrators and therefore pc savvy, I do not have the time or inclination to learn how to drive a windows 10 pc, Apple serves me ok:)

I'm an "administrator" "web master", developer, programmer, blah, blah, so obviously PC and tech savvy, but I can't stand windows either. Anything after 7 is ruled out for me. I changed to MacOS and haven't looked back. It's also a unix style OS so it's got a lot of familiarities with the Linux servers I administer every day.

Most software devs use Macs these days, any software/developer conferences or get togethers is an ocean of macbook pros.

:)

Yeah, some will still disagree, but whadda they know. :p

I work in IT for a school. While there are some things I don't like about Windows 10 not least the default privacy settings, I have to accept that if we are preparing students for the workplace then they will predominantly encounter Windows 10 and Office 365. It may change to some extent when companies do everything in the cloud as then the client platform doesn't matter so much. By next September we will have moved all our network drives to the cloud.

Personally I get along OK with Windows 10 but you have to be savvy enough set it up as you want it including tricking it into turning updates off with the metered connection. Win 10 actually occupies a smaller footprint than Win 7 and runs better on low end machines. If you can be bothered to configure an install with Nlite then Win 10 can be made very compact and quick.

I used to look after several of my oldies friends computers, which were always giving problems on win 7 or XP. After I upgraded them to win 10, I'm nearly redundant, because they cant mess around with it so much, and it has so many options to put it right. And anyone that does not allow updates is playing Russian Roulette, as most are security patches. Plus the way it now integrates with android phones and smart tv's is brilliant.

You can't officially turn off updates on windows 10 home version but there is a trick.

You can also disable the "Windows Updates" service as well. I think they may have got wise to this though as I remember one laptop I'd disabled it on started installing updates.

Ultimately though to get rid of the bloat you need to re-install windows 10 from scratch every now and then. I do it once a year or so. It's very easy and quick to do using a download to a USB drive. Most times when an update causes grief a new install will work fine.

I do this anyway, with every version of Windows I've ever had.

It's the only way to keep things running properly!

For anyone struggling with the time updates take, maybe consider an SSD. They've really come down in price and they make a huge difference. I run an 8 year old T4400 type Asus laptop and it runs lightning fast with an SSD.

I fancy a new laptop but after seeing Windows 10 on the one I bought for the kids homework I will stick to Windows 7 Professional, its good enough for my needs.
You’ll be fine for a while, but bear in mind that Windows 7 support stops in February 2020 (or thereabouts) so no more updates - not even security updates after that.

For the last couple of weeks when opening my copy of Microsoft Office Excel or Word they came up with an error about fonts then went through a long process of trying to correct it itself. Then it worked. This happened every time I opened one of them. Then I discovered that in their infinite wisdom Microsoft had kindly given me an updated version of Office to try out, then buy. They didn’t tell me that they’d done this and far worse it conflicted with my existing version, causing the error messages. As soon as I deleted the new, unasked for, version everything was fine.

I run Windows 10 on my PC and iOS on my iPad. They both seem to give me vast amounts of things I have no interest in. My wife has a new iMac - it looks very nice!

For some reason my boot up theme , or tune wont work at start up , unless i do a restart .Been searching for ages to sort it out and all the microsoft fixes on the forum with no change . The silly picture at the start on top of a nice wallpaper of administrator is unremoveable As said the updates can take hours to upload .

We use many windows 10 workstations at my work. Random Windows 10 updates have caused havoc in the past - pretty much killing usability, and leading to necessary rebuilds. Now I just run (all) these procedures immediately Windows activation on fresh installations and don't worry about updates. Version 1703 seems good enough - and I'd disagree that it runs slower than a Windows 7 machine if the hardware is current.

How to Disable Windows 10 Update in Every Way - EaseUS

I get my guys to wipe and re-install Windows 10 using the same 1703 build media - takes about 15 minutes from start to finish including updates on modern hardware with an SSD.

We've had very few problems with Windows 10 since the first major build update came out in 2015 as a result although things do have the odd thing now and again.

Microsoft cannot test on every permutation of install so you have to expect it but it's the same with any software.

However, some of the stuff they do is daft and seemingly done without thinking through the consequences for the average user.

When running as it should, Windows 10 is the best OS yet from Microsoft IMO.

I get my guys to wipe and re-install Windows 10 using the same 1703 build media - takes about 15 minutes from start to finish including updates on modern hardware with an SSD.

We've had very few problems with Windows 10 since the first major build update came out in 2015 as a result although things do have the odd thing now and again.

Microsoft cannot test on every permutation of install so you have to expect it but it's the same with any software.

However, some of the stuff they do is daft and seemingly done without thinking through the consequences for the average user.

When running as it should, Windows 10 is the best OS yet from Microsoft IMO.
Did you mean 1706 or 1803?

I have Win 7 on a dual boot “boot camp” on my 2014 MBP. My vauxcom diagnostic software is windows based, so it’s mainly for that.

My 2017 MBP won’t run any windows below 10 as a dual boot, so I’ve not bothered with that one.

T
You’ll be fine for a while, but bear in mind that Windows 7 support stops in February 2020 (or thereabouts) so no more updates - not even security updates after that.
That will work, I will bobble along with Windows 7 for a year which will give me time to check out my options for my next lap top. thanks for the info.

All the previous posts confirm my opinion that you have to be an IT professional to drive a Pc with windows b***** 10

Long live Apple! :p

I only used PC’s because the CNC machines I programmed used a PC to control them.

Apple had the market but Steve Jobs was greedy on price which allowed the PC market to expand and manufacturers bought pc because they were cheaper.

I still shudder at c:\format etc etc etc, oh yes I remember the good old days, not!

I have a old £50 laptop running XP as its the only thing I can use to communicate with machines that function using the delights of GE Fanuc LM90. Needless to say it is NEVER connected to the internet and TBH does not get used much, but there are still a good number of machines out there that have old CPU's running them.

..I still shudder at c:\format etc etc etc, oh yes I remember the good old days, not!

In DOS 3.x and higher, you must enter a drive letter when formatting (e.g. C:>\Format A:).

However, in DOS 2.x, typing C:>\Format will simply format the default (current) drive.................

(Ask me how I know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom