Window 10 Updates..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In DOS 3.x and higher, you must enter a drive letter when formatting (e.g. C:>\Format A:).

However, in DOS 2.x, typing C:>\Format will simply format the default (current) drive.................

(Ask me how I know).

You didn't do it!? :eek:

Did you mean 1706 or 1803?

Typo'd - 1803! Updated each time a new release is available.

In DOS 3.x and higher, you must enter a drive letter when formatting (e.g. C:>\Format A:).

However, in DOS 2.x, typing C:>\Format will simply format the default (current) drive.................

(Ask me how I know).

DOS 3.3 was the oldest I started using back in the very early 90s.

Seems crazy to think you could format the drive you were in in previous versions to that!

I only used PC’s because the CNC machines I programmed used a PC to control them.

Apple had the market but Steve Jobs was greedy on price which allowed the PC market to expand and manufacturers bought pc because they were cheaper.

I still shudder at c:\format etc etc etc, oh yes I remember the good old days, not!
Not sure if it was greed per ce. The PC effectively became an open platform from a hardware viewpoint, so virtually any company could make hardware that could be integrated into a PC build by anyone that could wield a screwdriver with some reasonable degree of competence. This in turn pushed down the price and also introduced some instabilities and compatibility issues. In addition, buying/acquiring an operating system was and still is quite straightforward.

Apple on the other hand, took a different approach, resulting in higher prices and arguable more stable machines.

To some extent, Windows PCs are a victim of their own success.

PS, my Win 10 laptop has been 'updating' itself all day long so far.

Don't forget you don't pay for software on Macs and haven't done for a while - this has to be paid for somehow so it's understandable Apple machines are more expensive.

Obviously clever marketing means they can drive the price.

Don't forget you don't pay for software on Macs and haven't done for a while - this has to be paid for somehow so it's understandable Apple machines are more expensive.

Obviously clever marketing means they can drive the price.
I think it will be more accurate to say that Apple include the cost of the OS in the hardware purchase price, while Microsoft allow you to separate the purchase of the hardware from the purchase of the OS.

This is also one of the reasons why Apple hardware is more expensive than similar-spec PC hardware.

I think it will be more accurate to say that Apple include the cost of the OS in the hardware purchase price, while Microsoft allow you to separate the purchase of the hardware from the purchase of the OS.

This is also one of the reasons why Apple hardware is more expensive than similar-spec PC hardware.

Yes exactly, only the operating system. Obviously not all software is free on MacOS! :D

Getting back to Win10. My laptop update to 1803 freezes at 81%. Tried it twice, gets stuck at the same point. Somewhat annoying. It's an oldish HP machine that originally had Win7. I did the free 'upgrade' to Win10 a couple of years ago and did a clean install of Win10 last year.

Thinking of taking out the HDD and fitting an SSD to give it a bit of a refresh.

Getting back to Win10. My laptop update to 1803 freezes at 81%. Tried it twice, gets stuck at the same point. Somewhat annoying. It's an oldish HP machine that originally had Win7. I did the free 'upgrade' to Win10 a couple of years ago and did a clean install of Win10 last year.

Thinking of taking out the HDD and fitting an SSD to give it a bit of a refresh.

Did you try this fix?

Windows 10 April 2018 Update Install Getting Stuck? Here’s How To Fix It

It appears this update problem is not uncommon.

^^Thanks, not tried that yet. I did an install from ISO last year. Was hoping to not have to do it again.

While that's true, I had a hell of a time several years ago sourcing a decent spec laptop that didn't come bundled with Windows. Everyone was saying "just don't use it", but I'm trying to get more laptop for the same money by getting one that hasn't got a licence for an operating system I'm not going to use bundled with it...

It's obviously a situation Microsoft are happy with given if lots of laptops were sold OS-less, or at least licence-less, the majority are likely to end up with pirated windows on them anyway.

On a quirky side note, while MacOS has been free for a long time (cost included in the hardware you have to buy (let's not mention hackintosh)), Mac OS X Snow Leopard is still for sale even today at $19.99 on Apple's website.

If you don't want a laptop bundled with Windows, you can buy a Chromebook or a laptop with Linux. But consumer laptops will rarely be offered with no OS at all.

^ exactly.

I wanted it for Linux, and didn’t want to be paying for a windows licence.

Can you put other OSes on chromebooks other than chromium OS?

I was after something a fair bit more powerful than that anyway.

All MBPs now, and glad they’ve finally gotten 32GB ddr4 and 8th gen CPUs, and the i9 too. :D

Dell have done Linux laptops for years. Maybe not to the spec you want though. Certainly had i7 processors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom