Window lifter replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marku

Car
Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
The window mechanism went in our Viano and I was quoted £390 to replace it. £140 for the part and £150 to fit it. I know that it is cable operated and it sounded like that was what had gone. Currently servicing the regulators in our W116 450SE, which are built as though they could be fitted to a tank I was interested to see what a modern Mercedes was fitted. I decided to do it myself and looked on ebay for parts. Found exactly what I wanted even quoting the part number and giving a two year guarantee all for £28. Bought it to have a look thinking must be cheap for that price but no really well built. Took the original out and compared them and could not see any difference. The MB part had no identification on it exactly like the ebay one. Any way fitted it and so far it works perfectly. Obviously pleased with the saving but more to the point it leaves a big question unanswered.

The question I have is why are they called Regulators ? sorry to hijack but my neighbour had the cable snap on his driver side window mech and when I helped him search for the new part required - essentially the whole window lifting mechanism - it was listed as a 'regulator' ??:dk:

I think it old terminology. The mechanism as it used to be consisted of a cranked sliding arm and a gear which positioned the window where you wanted it and so regulated its movement. Even Mercedes now calls it "lifter" I suppose because that's all it does just goes straight up and down. Compared to the old version it looks very simple and even light weight and a bit "Heath Robinson" but its very easy to install.

The W116 regulators are plenty problematic

OP you say they are easy to install.? My neighbours car in question was a Skoda fabia (electric window) and I took the door card off for him to suss out the problem to find the 'regulator' cable out of its mounting and shredded on the drive motor.

That bit was easy but I noted the whole inner skin of the Skoda door was a riveted plate (big rivets too) the only way to the regulator was to drill all of the rivets out and pop new ones in afterwards (IF you had the right kit) at that point I left the scene.

The W116 regulators are plenty problematic
Hello - they certainly are to get out I don't think I have ever come across a more complicated door.

Hello - they certainly are to get out I don't think I have ever come across a more complicated door.

It gets more interesting with the US models that have a side impact beam that runs through the middle of the regulator.

Hello again cross forum postings how great is that. That so with the 116? The US authorities certainly set out to cripple it with all the extra weight and reduced power. Do we really need to be that safe? What happened to good driving? Having said that I was expecting an impact bar on the Viano as in the WIS but Mercedes inform me that they considered it no longer necessary and a job I was not looking forward to went very well particularly so as I had paid MB to replace another some time ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom