Window problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobMorris

Car
W210 E300 TD
Hello

I have 2 problems..

Drivers front - From closed, it goes down fully no problem. But on coming up - it stops half way and drops an inch or so. In order to close it fully I need to man-handle it up an inch or so, then under slectric it closes fully....?

Drivers rear - I brought the window down and at about half way - I heard an ugly noise, and window dropped and wont go back up. I can hear the motor going along with a scrapping noise? Im guessing a snapped wire?

Cheers

It sounds like the window regulators are broken in both doors. Take the door cards off and take a look. They aren't difficult to replace, on the w124 at least, I assume the w210 isn't much different.

I agree, both window regulators are broken. The rear one will need to be replaced as the wire has snaped, but the front one can be repaired by welding up the damaged teeth and cutting new ones with a hacksaw. I have repaired quite a few like this and they never give a problem. It is a common fault with both the w124 and the w210.

Have a look at this thread: My W124 project £750 ( CE 220 )

regulator teeth worn down if its like my w124

genius's at merc use a steel cog but ally teeth on regulator, get 10 years from one if lucky

only buy from merc as others are shonky

Ive bought a good used replacement part for the front and a repair kit for the rear - fingers crossed!

Hi RobMorris

I've just had this happen too- I'm pretty sure mine happened due to the sound deadening peeling off on its front edge and sticking to the glass (gooey, smeary mess on outside of glass that I couldn't fathom the cause of until this happened).
I've taken my regulator out and have the window propped up with a piece of wood.

I'd be very interested to know what you did in the end.

I've so far narrowed it to 4 options:
1. Cheap repro part from Thailand- have read they're not so good.
2. Repair mine - always worth a shot and doesn't cost to try
3. Buy complete 2nd hand regulator off ebay for about £30- seems overkill as I just need to replace the plastic slider
4. Try to find a genuine replacement plastic slider- my preferred option, but anyone know whether they're available?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom