Window rattles with new 2011 E350 Cabriolet (A207)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

duberalles

Car
W212 E350 CDI Cabriolet
Hello all,

This is my first post so please be gentle on me. Just purchased a new E350 CDI Cabriolet - AMG Sport. The killer function for me was the Distronic Plus feature, which I think is 100% amazing especially in congested UK. Don't understand why more people aren't raving about how great it is. Anyway that's for another thread.

Even though this is a cabriolet (I know all about scuttle shake as have had other convertibles) I was very disappointed by the number of window rattles on the car when going over pot holes or coarse tarmac. The rattles are both driver side and passenger. They disappear when the windows are cracked open but reappear as soon as closed, regardless of whether roof is up or down.

Dealer (Brooklands) have looked at it, spent whole day with car and haven't solved the problem. They are almost implying that this is normal for a cab with a sports suspension. I don't think so, it's not normal that the rattles are only there when the window is closed. Scuttle shake isn't about windows rattling. This seems to be a question of poor build quality in an otherwise great car.

Questions
1. Has anyone else come across annoying window rattles on the E Class cab or other e models?
2. Brooklands were messing around with seal lubrication that did no good. Any other possible solutions?
3. Other than constantly driving around with the windows slightly open (annoying when it's cold outside or you're on the phone), what recourse do I have with the dealer? Can they just say it's within norms, they all do this?

Thank you in advance for any replies, advice.

John

cant help you here, as I have one on order.

However, is the scuttle shake bad on it. I take it this is the flex in the chassis that may cause squeaking dashboard, bulkhead ?

Also what size rims do you have, 18 or 19", I hear 19" are best avoided

Thanks for the reply. The scuttle shake isn't that bad, but it's certainly not up to Porsche standards.

I have 18 inch rims thankfully. The option I wish I had was the variable suspension settings. I have just hard, hard, hard. Hard is great for cornering but only if you live in a civilised country that actually repairs their roads. The road conditions in Kent, East and West Sussex are diabolical in places. Even posh Tunbridge Wells has holes I've only ever seen on a building site or unpaved road.

So maybe I am being harsh on the car but expecting it to cope with this kind of rubbish conditions. If they made the AMG pack with airmatic I would have gone for that.

Can't help you, but it makes me feel good about my 11 year old CLK 430 Cab. At least new ones rattle and squeek too! :)

I haven't had that problem at all with mine, no rattles, bumps or squeeks on the 18s or 19s.. only thing that you'll hear when I go over a bump or pothole is me whinging about the state of the roads!

With respect to the 19s being avoided, I can't tell the difference between 18s and 19s in ride quality, if anything the 19s I'm on feel smoother but I'd put that down to the tyres.

the dynamic suspension or whatever it is, does it give you firmer ride or softer ride than the none adjustable version in cabrio form.

I think the ride is firm enough on the e coupe without the clever suspension. As I am about to order the cabrio I would like the option of the same ride (when in sport) and a softer ride when in comfort, will I get this from the dynamic suspension. Or will it be firm in comfort and rock hard in sport ?

My understanding of the dynamic handling pack is that it normally softer then when you press the sport button it firms up to a similar level to how the ride is on a car without the dynamic handling pack?

Either way I didn't go for it because I didn't see the point after having back to back test drives in coupes with and without it, I expected a firm-ish ride but it's a lot softer than I expected as standard, it's hardly as firm as say a Lotus Exige S which I'd been used to driving but again it's down to personal preference, don't think it will make a great difference to the resale value, if the Cabrio was available with Airmatic though I would have ticked that box.

I have the SE on 17". No such problems, very smooth even on the worst roads. Previous CLK Sport on 18" - crash, bang wallop - hence the need to change

Having driven a sport on both 18 and 19 inch wheels, I could not detect any difference at all.

I think it is a bit of a myth. To be honest I think that the car needs the 19s, as anything less just looks too small.

Having driven a sport on both 18 and 19 inch wheels, I could not detect any difference at all.

I think it is a bit of a myth. To be honest I think that the car needs the 19s, as anything less just looks too small.

I agree that 19" look the best; however, the ride comfort cannot compete with higher profile 17" tyres, which in turn will reduce any impact on the vehicle frame.

When I change next year, I may go down the route of Sport and 19" just so it looks different having spent a lot of money, but I would be fooling myself if I thought the ride would be better, even though I would specify the handling option. It is a case of looks over comfort or vice versa.

I agree that 19" look the best; however, the ride comfort cannot compete with higher profile 17" tyres, which in turn will reduce any impact on the vehicle frame.

When I change next year, I may go down the route of Sport and 19" just so it looks different having spent a lot of money, but I would be fooling myself if I thought the ride would be better, even though I would specify the handling option. It is a case of looks over comfort or vice versa.

if I went for 19" and the handling pack, would that be as good as say 17" without the handling pack?

if I went for 19" and the handling pack, would that be as good as say 17" without the handling pack?

My E estate has Airmatic, with Comfort, Sport 1 and Sport 2 (each lowers the suspension by 10mm and 15mm respectively (from the Comfort setting).

On 18" 35/40 profile tyres the ride is good, though not silky smooth. I don't know if it's an option on the E350 but would be worth asking.

I suspect Airmatic and 19''s would be more than acceptable.

The dynamic handling pack isn't an option with the 17" wheels. You can only have it on the Sport which has either 18" or 19" wheels.

On 18" 35/40 profile tyres the ride is good, though not silky smooth. I don't know if it's an option on the E350 but would be worth asking.

I suspect Airmatic and 19''s would be more than acceptable.

There is no option for Airmatic on the A/C207s, at least there wasn't when I spec'd mine otherwise I'd have chosen it.

There is no option for Airmatic on the A/C207s, at least there wasn't when I spec'd mine otherwise I'd have chosen it.

that's because the E class coupe and cab is built on the C class instead of the E class chassis

It's annoying - I love the ride on Airmatic on the GL would have had it on the E350 in a heartbeat, GL wafts along brilliantly soaking every bump up even despite the 21" alloys

I haven't had that problem at all with mine, no rattles, bumps or squeeks on the 18s or 19s.. only thing that you'll hear when I go over a bump or pothole is me whinging about the state of the roads!

With respect to the 19s being avoided, I can't tell the difference between 18s and 19s in ride quality, if anything the 19s I'm on feel smoother but I'd put that down to the tyres.
This is hopeful to me. If Nab's car with the D6 is without window rattles then mine should be too. Will definitely get the car back to Brooklands for them to look at again. One small advantage is that it mean I ride 99% of the time with the roof and windows down, as all proper convertibles should. I'm also very happy with 42mpg average over the first 2k miles with the car.

I can add I have had no rattles at all.

As for the AMG Sport pack being too firm I find that almost laughable after coming from an M Sport spec BMW.... The MB Sport suspension really isn t that harsh, I find it to be a perfect balance of comfort and when the mood takes it holds its own in the twisty bits without rolling all over the place.

I can add I have had no rattles at all.

As for the AMG Sport pack being too firm I find that almost laughable after coming from an M Sport spec BMW....

Agree 100% about comparison to BMW but I always presumed the bavarian machines were on runflats which was why the ride was harsh?

Unfortunately I find myself acting like the guy in classic VW ad with the squeek. Couldn't link to it in youtube - came back as blocked. How does one link to a youtube clip?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom