Window seals & black marks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R W

Car
01,E320CDI. 2012 Sclass 350cdi
Sorry not an MB question but maybe someone can help.
I work for a coach company & the coach paintwork is white, the problem we have is the window rubber seals create black streaks down the paintwork after its been raining. Slowly over time its beginning to stain the white paint.
Is there anything we can seal the rubbers with to stop this.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

I have the same problem with my motorhome - Apparently waxing the bodywork stops the staining but I have yet to get it clean enough to wax it.....
Not sure about sealing the rubber - but would be interested.

notsofast. Thanks for your reply. I agree waxing the paint helps stop the staining but every shower of rain produces streaks of black marks bellow the windows. There must be something to seal the window rubber with.

Is the roof clean, maybe its general dirt being channelled down to the windows and giving the impression that it’s the rubber that’s causing the staining.

While rubber degrades over time and will turn a cloth black during cleaning, it doesn’t usually cause the problem that you describe… got a picture?

Dec

Dec
The roof is Ok & clean, nothing down the window glass. It only appears bellow the window line onto the paint. I will try to get photos this week. Thanks

Take a look here

Black Streak Remover

In the tip section at the bottom there is a tip on how to prevent occurrence for 3-6 months.

HTH

Two suggestions for the rubber seals - tyre treatment products should help seal the rubber surface (& make it look better) - the other is the sealant you can use on canvas roofs - renovo is one but the best I've found for my wife's car is Gtechnique (a small one here Gtechniq I1 Smart Fabric Protector Cabriolet Roof Waterproofer 100ml | eBay) - I did the roof six months ago - some overspray is inevitable & I got some around the edge of the rear screen - it's still there, so it last really well - again that would seal the rubber

If you're sure its rubber marks and not dirt that accumulates and runs down then the rubber is drying out, try (and yes this might sound silly) smooth peanut butter, wiped all over the rubber, left for 5 mins and then wiped off with another cloth will work wonders.

Was using it for all rubber and plastic trim when I owned a detailing business and its the best thing out there, and cheap. You could use peanut oil instead however the fine nut particles help to clean as well as protect, so 2 jobs in 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom