Window smashed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

microkid

Had a knock on the door last night, Police Officer. Reason: my car had been damaged. Someone has smashed the passenger window and opened the glove / all other compartments. So now I need a replacement passenger window (main part) for a C Class Coupe. Can anyone recommend a company to fix this asap and the costs associated? Much appreciated.

Look at your policy - I think its only windscreens that have nominal charge applied - but yours may read "glass"...not "windscreen". If it is not covered as per a windscreen - work out if it's worth claiming as it will affect your NCD.

i suspect a breaker would supply door glass very cheap.... may be better than the excess or loss of NCB. assuming you are able to fit it yourself

a question i have is that autoglass or whoever will have to remove the door cards of the car.

this makes me wonder how many little clips get broken and bodged on refitted as they "wing it". :confused: :crazy:

i know my W124 door cards required quite careful refitting to be a nice fit with no movement and also had to be removed carefully to avoid creasing/damage. Then there is the issue of removing seat switches etc the correct way without breaking them.

i'd be tempted to remove the door card myself, give them the empty door to fix the glass and then fit the door card back on again myself. atleast i know that is been fitted correctly and nothing is broken behind etc. i had wood trim scratched by autoglass in my CLK

Last edited:
When I had a side window smashed - I was finding shards of glass for months afterwards.....the little beggars get in everywhere.....

When I had a side window smashed - I was finding shards of glass for months afterwards.....the little beggars get in everywhere.....
That was my experience too. And on careful inspection there was quite a bit of minor paint damage too, where the scrote had clambered in/out through the aperture :mad:

Bit late now, but.....ask any car thief, and if they can see you have nothing in the glove box to steal, they will move on. Leave the glove box open with nothing in it next time. If its like mine, it'll have a Bic pen, an empty CD case, an empty envelope and more crap that shouldn't be in the car !!

Auto glass did mine under insurance, but I had to pay £50, still cheaper that getting some one else to do it 4 u

Had a knock on the door last night, Police Officer. Reason: my car had been damaged. Someone has smashed the passenger window and opened the glove / all other compartments. So now I need a replacement passenger window (main part) for a C Class Coupe. Can anyone recommend a company to fix this asap and the costs associated? Much appreciated.

MB retail on the drop glass is £64.97, so if some of the mobile companies quote you too much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom