window tint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AJD

Car
c200 cdi coupe
Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with tinting the front side windows ie the law. Im thinking of having my coupe done.

I've spoke to a few companies who all say the same thing, it is up to the owner if they want it done or not. I know the law. Im asking if anyone has had it done and been pulled and asked to remove it

Had it on front windows on various cars for the last 15 years and never had as much as a sniff despite being stopped for other things <cough> BUT I don't have stupidly dark tints.

I go for 50% on the backs and 35% on the front, always quality film with the metal particles in it rather than the just dyed rubbish which the boy racers go for and has to be much darker to have the same effect.

The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them. Anything else is a danger to yourself and others, don't do it! And if you stay within the legal limits don't forget to inform your insurance company of the modifications.

If you have an accident and it can be proven that the reduced vision caused by the illegal film was a contributing factor, you are likely to get part or full blame - even if it was not under normal circumstances your fault!

Even worse - your insurer - if they stand to be in a position where they are looking at full acceptance of liability (as you were at fault) - may determine that your insurance is invalidated! and you will be looking at footing the costs on your own for your own vehicle and any other damage to third party vehicles or property.

:wallbash:

if you get a very light smoke tint, it wont be very obvious and you should be ok, smoke or darker then you may get some unwanted attention.

Also the darker the interior, it makes the tint look darker.

i had light smoke on previous car for 9 years and it looked good and never asked to remove it

Thanks for the advice. Im not very keen on the totally blacked out look, im looking for a nice, subtle tint and something I can still see out of. My interior is quite dark so I don't want to over do it. The best quote I've got is £200 for the lot and comes with a lifetime guarantee

I wouldn't mind having mine done, but I did get pulled over when I had the fronts done on the last car. Got away with it for two years prior to that though. Depending on how often you come across traffic cops, I would say a subtle tint is going to go mostly unnoticed by the law.
That seems very reasonable, especially if they're happy to guarantee their work. Nothing worse than it all peeling off after five minutes.

I had light smoke on my...ahem, astra bertone coupe.. I was watched for two weeks before they pulled me over. It didn't bother me as I tinted them myself. Then I put on ultra light and all was fine.

Surely the answer is to stay within the law, then no-one can make you take them off and you'll sleep at night.

I think it would really finish the car off nicely. Heres how she's looking now. I'll sleep at night anyway lol. Even the bloke I spoke to said he's had a light smoke on his van for a while with no problems. I think it's down to luck, theres some lenient cops out there, somewhere

ForumRunner_20130423_202634.jpg

Trouble is , if you pull out on someone and there is a smash , even with a light tint , you'll get well nicked.

If there is an accident , and plod see a front window tint , they'll check it , guaranteed.

Then you have the risk of insurance not paying out etc etc etc.

I've got a 65% tint on the rear of the a class to keep the sun off the little alien , but none on the front and none at all on the clks.

had my last 4 cars done over the last 15 years,as long as you just have the lowest tint done its not a problem,remember at night the lowest tint can seem darker,stay away from limo type tints,never failed an mot for it.

Surely the answer is to stay within the law, then no-one can make you take them off and you'll sleep at night.

Agree! Coppers have a tester and if it doesn't pass (the 70% light malarky) they'll ask you to peel some of it off in front of them. A reputable tinting place should know this! IIRC. The light smoke from "Pentagons" is fine.

Clearly stated here:

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

Well don't drive down Southend seafront on a Saturday evening then......last year I saw a row of cars with a couple of cop cars and a police transit along the front with a line of kids tearing the tints off the front side windows of theirs cars.......funny? Oh yes, we were all chuckling at the boy, nah, baby racers :D

So even if I go for say a 20% light reduction they'd still have me? And if the car "came with tints" I'd still be in the wrong? I had a VW Bora which I bought dropped about 50-60mm over 18s, this was never questioned when it was written off when someone crashed into the back of me.

Tint from the factory is fine.

'They were on it when I bought it' won't cut it either

It really does sound like you are trying to convince yourself it will be ok.

Did you declare the drop and change of wheels on the bora to your insurance company ?

So even if I go for say a 20% light reduction they'd still have me? And if the car "came with tints" I'd still be in the wrong? I had a VW Bora which I bought dropped about 50-60mm over 18s, this was never questioned when it was written off when someone crashed into the back of me.

I lowered my calibra many years ago. It was stolen then found they did not question it back then and may do now. And they paid out as I did'nt want the car back.

If you want you could have 3 points and a fine with darkened front windows. Depending if you get a ****y copper.

All factory tints comply with regulations, they have to or they couldn't sell the vehicles.

You can either comply with the law and not risk a fine or possible punitive insurance actions in case of a claim or fit darker tints and take your chances, it's a simple choice really.

So what % is factory tint, surely if you matched this it would be ok. I only want the bare minimum on the front if I do decide to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom