Window Tinting - a good thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobra7

Car
M5
I know it all boils down to personal taste but, when looking at an older vehicle (C43 estate) what would be the general opinion of going for limo dark tint to rear windows with a slight tint to front..?

In two minds at present, thinking about future resale and whether it could be a positive improvement or not :dk: (not so much the price but more along the lines of attracting more interest)

Legally, your not supposed to have any added tint on the front windows. Which is a problem if you go for a dark tint on the rear due to the contrast.

If I bought a car with after market tinted film stuck to the windows,I
would remove it ,looks wrong,just like dodgy H.I.D's and stick on drl's.

All Estates look great tinted IMO

I have rejected buying cars due to having tinted windows. It looks rubbish and when driving makes every day appear dull and reversing at night difficult.

It looks rubbish and when driving makes every day appear dull and reversing at night difficult.

Agreed; reversing at night is a nightmare (get it?). I removed the tinted film from my CL's front windows after I got it. Can't do the rear screen as I'm afraid it'll knacker the elements for the heated screen as well as the various aerials there.

I'm certain it was also illegal.

Attachments

• P1000892.JPG
    P1000892.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 124
I don't know about there, but out here it's done not to look cool, but to keep cool. :)

This is 20% on the sides and back windows, and the radio aerial or rear window heating is not affected.

I always tint the cars I buy for numerous reasons
1) Keeps bright sunlight off my children (rare in UK) :)
2) Suits the car (IMHO)
3) No one can see in (Great for dogging :) )

I don't know about there, but out here it's done not to look cool, but to keep cool. :)

This is 20% on the sides and back windows, and the radio aerial or rear window heating is not affected.

I'm not sure if dark tint reduces solar transmittance, but if you are bothered about the interior heat, why have a black car?

light smoke front and smoke rear is the combination i would go with.

subtle

still not legal tinting the frnts tho

I'm not sure if dark tint reduces solar transmittance, but if you are bothered about the interior heat, why have a black car?
Obviously you've never tried it.
I don't know if it does either I just know that the tinted windows do keep the car cooler.

Having driving around most of this country in all coloured cars and Semi's for the last 42 years, I can assure you that when it gets hot (>35c) insulation and air conditioners make the difference to interior temperature, not paint colour.

Last edited:
The good thing about the tinted windows on the wife's car is you can't see the kids fighting :crazy:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sometimes you have no choice regarding a tint from the B post backwards.

100% of the MB Approved Used S212's currently for sale have privacy glass (very dark).

The worst thing is that after dark, you have no idea what's tailing you.

On the positive side, it's good for your licence :thumb:.

I've seen two cars with tinted front screens :devil:.

I should add that when the seats are down in an estate, you're generally carrying something - if it's valuable (my lad's drum kit, for example), the privacy glass prevents prying eyes.

Last edited:
A friend's partner living in France drove his S-Class and was stationary at a traffic light when someone smashed the passenger side window and grabbed her purse from the passanger's seat.

He considered tinting but was told by the French authorities that only diplomatic cars were permitted full tint for security reason, so he had the car registered as diplomatic car (long story - the car was entitled to it at the time) and had it fully tinted.

I drove the car on German Autobahns a couple of years ago, and my own personal impression is that while the tinted front side windows may aid security, they most definitely comprises on safety.

Sorry - I meant E63 S212's, but missed the edit time window.

Please don't take the wrong way, fella, but I like your bra.

Some interesting views there - thanks :thumb:

Personally I quite like the idea of tinting the C43 - thinking being that when (or if!) i do decide to move it on, as it already has a gloss black roof (which looks good imo) it is not quite standard anyway. Difficult as some would argue it kind of makes the C43 look a little more modern but others would then suggest it defeats the object if trying to obtain top dollar when selling on :dk:

I was thinking limo dark to the rear windows and slight tint to the front. Not a cheap tint mind, a top grade material + fitment. I'm not so sure now though :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom