Window Tinting - Illegal to Tint Rear Windscreen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Just read this on the PNLD website

"In the windscreens (including rear windscreen) and front side windows of motor vehicles first used after 1st April 1985 there must be a minimum of 75% of light allowed through the window (for vehicles first used before 1/04/85 min of 70%).
The windows that are exempted from this are any windows, which the driver when sat in the driving seat is unable at any time to see any part of the road on which the vehicle is situated whether proceeding or waiting. The only exempt windows would be then, the rear windows on both sides.
Failure to abide by this means that you commit and offence and could be liable for a fine. Make sure the tints are checked by a professional."

From this I understand the rear screen must transmit 70% or 75% depending on age of car. Previously I understood that windows aft of the "B" pillar could be as dark as desired.

Have I misinterpreted?

I'll ask Mr P when he gets home after work tonight. He covered this exact topic for his recent traffic law course, but I've a feeling the rear window can be tinted but I could be wrong, but I'm thinking about the fact that vans and wagons don't have to be able to see through the rear.

No its not illegal. I've tinted my back 3, rear window and the sides almost completely blacked out. You have a limit on the front 2 side windows, they need to allow 30% of light to pass through it. front windscreen is completely illegal.

No its not illegal. I've tinted my back 3, rear window and the sides almost completely blacked out. You have a limit on the front 2 side windows, they need to allow 30% of light to pass through it. front windscreen is completely illegal.

That's certainly what I understood and did on my previous car.
But reading this it would seem not :confused:
The windows that are exempted from this are any windows, which the driver when sat in the driving seat is unable at any time to see any part of the road on which the vehicle is situated whether proceeding or waiting. The only exempt windows would be then, the rear windows on both sides.
Failure to abide by this means that you commit and offence and could be liable for a fine. Make sure the tints are checked by a professional.

It will be very interesting to hear what "Mr P" has to say!

Been driving my car for almost a year now, and i've never even been looked at by police :D

It will be very interesting to hear what "Mr P" has to say!

He's working until 10.00 tonight so I'll ask him when he comes home - watch this space.

My previous car was blacked out from the "A" pillars back and I never had any problems with the police, even when two officers sat in my car..

so whats the problem then?! :D Listen, i enquired about this alot when i was doing it too, and the reason they limit the front 2 side windows is because it limits your vision on the road, especially when using your rear view mirrors. Some kind've fatal accident involving a car with blacked out windows and a motorbike prompted this restriction as far as i read. But of course you can wait for pammy to reply if you dont believe me.

As mentioned many vans have solid tailgates with no rear visibility at all except via the door mirrors. So that's got to be wrong.

Greater Manchester Police have declared War on all tinted windows that don't allow a clear view of both front and rear occupants. I understand that the front windows must be bright enougth to see the movement of other road users but the back ?
Of course they hand you the fixed stealth tax ticket and bid you to fight it in the courts if you wish, knowing full well that few people can afford the lengthy legal process.

IIRC The vauxhall signum can have a blacked out rear screen from factory...

Here's my ML with factory spec tints - passed MOTs and the following police cars!

Last edited:
I don't think window tint is part of the MOT :)

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with this, as I said previously my other car was blacked out and no problems. It's just having read the statement on the PNLD I was suprised the rear window was not exempt (apparently), could this be something waiting to happen? Police clamping down?
Just curious of others impressions...

I find that bizarre? Surely the test is about road worthiness and safety? If a car fails an MOT on a cracked window, then surely it fails on one you can barely see out of?

I agree whole-heartedly

But I don't think MOT are equiped with light meters?

Been driving my car for almost a year now, and i've never even been looked at by police

You've never been looked at by police because they probably cannot see you!:p

Seriously, today I saw a brand new Mondeo (Lovely car) with darkened rear and back windows.

Its not so long ago that we could see, "chav" cars with all blackened windows and "Mafia Staff Car" stickers on the boot.

You've never been looked at by police because they probably cannot see you!:p

Seriously, today I saw a brand new Mondeo (Lovely car) with darkened rear and back windows.

Its not so long ago that we could see, "chav" cars with all blackened windows and "Mafia Staff Car" stickers on the boot.

I thought that about naff chav cars - but they do some interesting things with cars (albeit badly) - then the manufacturers do it properly and with more taste - like bigger, bolder alloys, smoked lights, spoilers, tints etc.

So do vans with solid doors get away with it?

What about an estate carrying a lot of euipment?

Or a car carrying some very portly passengers!

Is it not that you have to have at least 2 working mirrors.

My dad got done for "rear view obstructed" when he had a load of stuff in the back. Many years ago, before door mirrors :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom