Window tinting...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc-C180K

I was thinking of getting the windows tinted on the C Class.

Was going to go for 'smoke' all around...

Any thoughts?

A blacked out rear section may look too chauffeur-ish....?

Does it not already have a factory tint? If so and you want to go darker it would probably be illegal to do the windscreen and front windows as they're likely to be on the limit already.

Does it not already have a factory tint? If so and you want to go darker it would probably be illegal to do the windscreen and front windows as they're likely to be on the limit already.

Its very very very lightly tinted, but I don't beleive its at the limit. I've heard 10-15% being bandied about.

I wasn't going to tint the windscreen just the rear and sides.

I popped in to my local Pentagon office yesterday. I was initially after light-smoke all around as I wanted it a bit darker, but not to the point of drawing unecessary attention. However, as I have a very light interior they've recommended I go for "smoke" otherwise the change would be minimal.

The cost of covering all of the CLK ('cept the windscreen of course) was £260, which I think is a great price. They're the best guys around, and when I asked in they could be removed, say when I sold the car or if I was unlucky enough to be told to remove them by the police they said that not only would they do this for free, but they're replace it with a light-smoke option if I so desired.

My wife's car (Lexus RX300) came with limo black windows in the rear from the factory and I think it looks excellent. It all depends on the kind of car IMO. 4X4s can pull it off, but coupes with smaller windows could look silly. Whilst I was at Pentagon they showed me a few models which had light-smoke at the front and smoke at the back, and they looked great - they sort of blended together and there wasn't such a stark contrast.

I'm booked in for my fitting next Wednesday, I can let you know how I get on if you like?

Any sort of tint is going to push you over the limit. However, I think there's a lot of difference between the limo-black, have to wind down your window to see tint and the slightly tinted smoked look. I believe most officers would recognise this and at worst you'll have to pay a fine. Anyone with Limo-black tints at the front should be prevented from driving the car any further until the tints are removed.

I beleive it not uncommon for officers to carry light meters and they will check the transmission. If it's below the legally allowable (75% I think) you will be issued with warning and required to rectify within 10days or face a fine / points.

The force are clamping down on illegal tints

I dont think its possible to buy window tinting film of a light enough smoke that will keep you legal on those front windows.

Of course if you graduate the tint from rear to front you can smoke the fronts and they wont scream "illegal" so you may not get any attention.

Most factory tints are on (or very close to) the legal limit (25% tint windscreen, 30% tint front side windows). 25% tint is not very dark.

Something like that, they are just short of the legal requirement.

A member 'Plodd' was involved in checks on tints and people were being made to remove them at the roadside.
I'm sure he said factory tint is approx 28%.
Possibly a question for MB Customer Care.

I suspect Pentagon know you will be over the limit hence the free removal if you get pulled.

25% on W/S, 30% on Front are the legals.

45% - 65% you will be asked to remove.

> 65% and you're in trouble

Where is that information from..the Police..??

Im very interested to see the results as I went to get it priced up last weekend £250 for mine at a place in Rotherham. I wanted the lightest smoke all round but they recommended light smoke on the front & rear side windows with dark smoke at the back.

I had mine done last month by ADS in Plymouth (they also did all the windows in the Plymouth MB Dealership nice blue tint). You can only have the back windows tinted or clear film on front windows. Some police cars carry a sensor machine in their cars that tests the tint on cars it's an on the spot fine if your tint exceeds the clear film. I also wanted my front windows tinted but ADS told that they could do it but it would be at my own risk. The problem is due to 'boy racers' who have had all windows tinted and cause accidents when pulling out as can't see cars properly through tint. Plus the police like to see whose driving the car (i.e. known drug dealers, criminals etc). The benefit is for my kids in the back of the car especially in the summer as car stays cool, and as i have the dark tint on back windows stops idiots trying to see whats on your back seat not that i leave anything there anyway.

Hope that helps in your decision. As the local beat plod said to me - You have been warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom