window tints d.i.y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ken crosley

Car
1994 c180. bmw 1.8is coupe honda cbr 600
firstly i have read all the posts on window tinting. my question is has anyone done it and is it a pig of job or what. was thinking of doing the rear half. can anyone talk me through it-- regards ken-- c180 esprit

Like all DIY there is good and there is OK and then there is "bubbles all over your windows and looking like a nova owner has borrowed your car". You may be utterly brilliant at DIY and install your own double glazing and central heating OR like me you might pay a nice man to come and do it properly;)

If you have not done if before I would leave it to the experts, I have seen it being done on other cars and from the looks of things it's not really a DIY job....

did it on my c180 '96. tinted the rear door windows only though as the rear window is a difficult job as it is hard to get to (precuts may be available to make the job easier). doing the doors is not to bad a job but needs time and care to get a good result.

you have to strip out the doorcards, ext' window trim, window plate partition, remove main window plate from winder mechanism, remove corner window plate from door. clean both windows thoroughly both sides and follow the tint fitting installation instructions closely - time and care needed for good finish! rogue hairs and bubbles are a pain to get out and ensuring the water/suds solution isnt to suddsy is vital to stop bubbles drying out causing dry spots.

electric front windows were to daunting a task to attempt for me so left it at just the back door windows.

RJIF said:
did it on my c180 '96. tinted the rear door windows only though as the rear window is a difficult job as it is hard to get to (precuts may be available to make the job easier). doing the doors is not to bad a job but needs time and care to get a good result.

you have to strip out the doorcards, ext' window trim, window plate partition, remove main window plate from winder mechanism, remove corner window plate from door. clean both windows thoroughly both sides and follow the tint fitting installation instructions closely - time and care needed for good finish! rogue hairs and bubbles are a pain to get out and ensuring the water/suds solution isnt to suddsy is vital to stop bubbles drying out causing dry spots.

electric front windows were to daunting a task to attempt for me so left it at just the back door windows.

Did that on my z3... ugh, NOT a fun job! Its not as simple as the eBay sellers make it seem (remove plastic backing, squirt water, apply, yeah, right).

Leaving aside the legal problems, you need to remember you need to remove the window from the door. After that, even if you do a perfect job, expect it too last only 3 year under a stong sun (ok, the car I did it on isnt in this country, and considering the sunlight here I'm guessing it'll last a little longer) because, after all, its only a film.

Imo, get a reputable company to do it. There was one that was recomended here that would come by with a van, remove your windows, apply a tint, bake it in an oven in the back of their van then refit the whole thing; but I can't remember who, I'll have a look around. It might cost you a tad more, but will save you ALOT of hassle and headaches.

(and I've ended up tinting my bedroom windows with the film :p)

Michele

Pentagon in Manchester always get good reviews.

What you really want is an oem-style liquid tint like MBenzNL has, film is for amateurs ;)

Pentagon are the daddies!

They are expensive but IIRC Maff can get a discount....

Mambo said:
Pentagon are the daddies!

They are expensive but IIRC Maff can get a discount....
A friend of mine drove all the way down to London from Blackburn to get his M3 tinted at Pentagon, cost him a LOT. About a week later a corner peeled off one window and they sent a man up in a van to repair it, they were very apologetic and gave him some compensation for it. They seem to be very professional if nothing else.

Looks like they have fitting centres all over the place now :)

If you do it yourself its like anything take your time. Rush it and the result will look rushed.

Having previously done it myself I would not attempt it again.

I had mine done 4 years ago at pentagon, and cost a bomb, MAFF can get them done at a realistic price now!

i spotted a bubble on one window, and they stripped and redone it, no questions asked!, 4 years later, they still look like new, no peeling, no wear, nothing!, they also guarentee the work as long as you still have the car! (well thats the guarentee i got on the reciept at the time )

Dont attempt it you will spend the money on the film then end up throwing it away and then going to pentagon to have it done they did my c class for £280,14 months later i had faint scratches on the film they redone the 4 windows ,no excuses free of charge..

Pentagon are supposed to be the best in the trade. They even have mobile teams travelling to the Middle East to do customer cars...

OFF Topic: If you get the rear screen tinted then does that affect the demister from functioning as normal (as the standard finish has lines going across the screen) ?

de0mister works fine, tints have caused no probs

Mine was done by Pentagon, they are the Company.

I did it on one of my old cars years ago.Took all the side windows out and apllied it that way,Wasn't too difficult to apply.Just soak the window and film with water and apply.Squeege out excess water and pin ***** any air bubbles,and cut to shape.Rear window was a b*t*h having a curve to it,So I had to do it in sections(never again) If possible get a professional to do it.The stuff they use is much thicker,lasts longer and easier to work with(worth paying the extra).Plus as people have said any problems it get replaced free.

window tints

thanks for that guys info taken on board --ken so it wont get done then??

Guys whats the score with window tinting i heard its illegal now to have fronts ones tinted even a little ?!!

last week in manchester 80 police officers had a party pulling over motorists,checking tyres,tax discs,insurance,red diesel and window tints.two of my work mates were pulled and told its illegal to have any tinting on the front windows forward of the door pillars.they used a new toy to test the amount of light that passes through.they got a producer and told to remove the film and a £30 fixed penalty fine.

The chap next door got pulled by the fuzz ( :D ) the other day and told to take the tints off the front side windows.

He's now done this but the car now looks like a van with the rears fully tinted black. The cars a dark blue Galant.

I've seen a lot of this around, rear of the car tinted as dark as it can go with the front windows clear. i don't like the look myself - all or nothing for me. But it appears ALL is now illegal. :rolleyes:

Had a chat with my neighbour yesterday and suggested he remove the rear side window tints and just leave the rear glass tinted, which I think would look better.He didn't seam convinced and it's his car after all.

I know a few people in the trade, even using the professional quality film I've done 2 cars, both of which have come out mediocre at best.
I removed every window on both cars, it's soo much easier, but I still failed to get a perfect finish on 2 of the windows.
I recently had the Merc ones done by a professional, mate of a mate, been doing it 14 years now, stunning job, and money very well spent.
It truely isn't worth the time/hassle/effort to DIY it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom